Sunday, December 6, 2015

Finished: Navajo Code Talkers

My 2014 quilt starts are becoming finishes :)  I finished up the binding today, but while I was sewing that down I decided that the black sashings and border needed to be quilted.  I planned not to do anything in them (they are only about 1.5" wide), but with the flannel backing, I believe the shrinkage is going to be more than with other flannels I've used.  I like the puffy-after-washed looked, but with not enough quilting it will look distorted.
Navajo code Talkers

I love the way the quilt drapes! I think this is a combination of the flannel and the top being made with a lot of homespun fabrics.

The backing is a butter yellow and some scraps of two other flannels I had on hand.  I didn't quite have enough of the yellow, but piecing backings is something I enjoy so it doesn't bother me that I had to piece with scraps.
Navajo code Talkers
I mentioned in my previous post that this quilting isn't my best. I actually had issues with Aurifil in the bobbin. The thread is lighter in strength, but I haven't experienced that before. I'm going to have to play around and see if I can figure out why it was doing that. I don't know if it didn't like how fast I was going with my Juki or a different issue.

And what happens when you toss a quilt down on the floor?
Navajo code Talkers

The inspector comes along to test it out and be sure everything is ok!

I haven't had a chance to work on Clue 2 of the mystery this weekend, but tomorrow it is in my plans!

7 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! What a great thing to do to give it to the injured scout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I just hoped it is received well... I can imagine the "why are you giving me a quilt" response, but I don't think that will happen (I hope!).

      Delete
  2. Oh Mel, I love that quilt! Flannel backs are my favorite for cuddly quilts. And if you use what you already have on hand, it's a free backing. ;)
    Whoever receives this is going to love it. Another UFO marked off the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! The dad of the scout stopped by tonight for something unrelated so I was able to give it a quick brush with the lint brush and give it to him (I was going to send it with Kevin to the scout meeting on Wednesday so he could quietly give it to the dad to give to the scout). I think he was surprised and well received by Dad, and he said that his kiddo is going to love it. As I was folding it up from my wall to give to fold up to send it with him, I remembered that I forgot to trim off my little thread trails (my auto-cutter on my machine still leaves tiny threads I need to trim)...oh well.

      Delete
  3. Oh Mel, I love that quilt! Flannel backs are my favorite for cuddly quilts. And if you use what you already have on hand, it's a free backing. ;)
    Whoever receives this is going to love it. Another UFO marked off the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this quilt. Great sampler like pattern and the homespuns make it so cozy. Wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cindy. I was telling Kevin that some of those fabrics in there were from when I first started quilting :) vintage!

      Delete