Monday, July 28, 2014

Row by Row Experience Part 2 or 3

....depending on how you are keeping track :)

This morning I got up and took my once-a-week-maple-tree picture (I haven't blogged about that yet, I plan to put the 52 pictures into a quick slideshow eventually) before the construction started up on our street (water mains being replaced) and then I went to work in figuring out my Leavenworth Quilt Company's Row by Row pattern.  I had issues already with this row, but I found that there were some directions left off in regards to measurement of the pine tree trunk, the section under the house, and the three patch piece (I always thought it was called delectable mountains block, but I am not finding the block under that name).

Two Row By Rows completed

I was able to undo a couple of HST's that weren't used to make the three-patch pieces (2), and then I put the rest together.  I actually ended up with two or three extra background pieces that were cut according to the directions leftover, so I don't know what is up with that.  I had to use one to give some more length to a top background piece that wasn't long enough, so it worked out, mostly.  I really think the patterns need to be tested more.  I don't know how they were drafted, but I am glad I am able to think about what to do next in these cases--and not stress about it.

Also, with the water HST's: with the rows measuring at 36" (finished), the 2" water HSTs math worked out fine.  Any longer or shorter, it wouldn't have worked as well.

I am planning to do Attic Windows row next with flying geese.  They remind me of kites in the air (but I think they are suppose to be birds).  I might change the background from black to a sky color instead.

retreat selfie
And a final retreat selfie.  Mary describes on her blog the story behind this one.  Rather-Be's is in the background.  What a great place for a quilt retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment