Monday, July 28, 2014

Retreat Accomplishments

Eastern Washington
7/24/2014 heading east in eastern Washington, such a beautiful drive!  I left around 7:30 in the morning in rainy weather, to make it over the mountains into sunshine.  The weather was warm but not hot, which I love.  I wish I would have made a few stops along the way to take pics of the beautiful scenery and some roadside sunflowers, maybe next time.

First things first.  I really love the Row by Row Experience and what it's all about.  I really do!  That said, I have one and a half rows completed, and in both the directions there are parts that are really difficult to understand.  I have been quilting for a long time, I can follow directions fairly easily... but in one kit, the background fabric was just barely enough (wasn't quite enough actually, but I eased it in) and the cutting directions for the background for the half square triangles was at 3"--when it should have been nearly an inch smaller.  Considering I have run out of the background fabric, that was a huge error.  The quilt shop did come back with a correction regarding the finished sizes of the HST's, but it didn't change on the cutting diagram for the background fabric.  I ended up cutting all my squares so they would finish at 2" instead of 1.5" (corrected is 1.5" finished).  After realizing my error, I already pieced together the "water" HST's, and I am going to see if it will still work (vs taking it apart and trimming down like I have had to do with the others).

Leavenworth Quilt Company

Above is from Leavenworth Quilt Company, a very cute row.  You can really see the size difference in the HST's (the mountain vs the water).  I fudged some land under the house.  It looks a little wider than I wanted, but it was what I needed.  There were a lot of fussy background pieces, and I think some sizes may have been off either in the instructions or in cutting (though I have double checked as I gathered to sew in place).

calico threads

(that orange is actually a red, not sure what happened in the translation) Ok... I love the Tacoma Narrows row (Calico Threads, Tacoma). It was one of the top shops I wanted to be sure to visit for the row pattern.  But having to use an Angle Play template to make it was kind of ridiculous.  I never did figure out the ruler and ended up paper piecing the sailboats instead.  I need to make the cable lines for the bridge--I am planning to do embroidery for that.  Please quilt shops, please please please... don't require rulers like this to make the row patterns again.  yes, I bought that kit with the ruler.  Yes instructions were included.  Yes I searched youtube for demonstrations.  Yes I was HAPPY someone at retreat had paper that I could use to draft the pattern into paper piecing--which was a breeze.  And finally, yes I gave the ruler away. Also, I had to go stash diving because the kit did not have enough of the lighter grey fabric.

Working!
working alongside some Angry Orchard hard cider. Yum.  I think it helped keep pieces straight for this quilt :)

Engagement Quilt Top
A quick iphone picture of the engagement/wedding quilt I started a couple of months ago.  I have the bulk of the top finished, and now I am thinking about working in an applique design on top for information and to personalize.  This came to me yesterday when I was showing the finished top to the other retreaters.  I am happy with how this top has worked out.  I designed it on my EQ--which took me some time to figure out too :)  Hopefully I will have this one finished before January (as my goal for now).

And finally, heading home out of Cougar Country.  Washington State University is my alma mater, I just love how the whole eastern side of the state supports WSU.  Go Cougs!
Heading home

I finished quilting the kaleidoscope quilt, and I did pick up a new wool project at the shop we were staying at.  Other than that, I got most of what I had planned to work on finished... and my batteries have been recharged again.  Success!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't use the diagram for cutting my background for the Leavenworth row. Your Ships look good. Thanks for helping me get some Wet Side Rows to put in my Quilt. I had fun Retreating with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an awesome weekend and I was inspired by all you were doing but I'm NOT doing the rows! Really I am NOT! I do love the finished look of the rows though! Thanks for being my roomie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy to see you both! It was a great weekend :) And Julie, we will wear you down on the Row By Rows... it may take until next year, but I am sure it will happen! LOL!

    ps... I ordered the cutting gizmo thing today....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to read about retreat. Some day I'll get to have fun with y'all again! :) Love seeing the rows come together.

    ReplyDelete