Sunday, December 29, 2019

Final week of December 2019

Have you watched the first episode of Craft in America?  I already said this on Facebook, but the episode was an absolute feast for the eyes!  I encourage anyone who has an interest in quilting, to check it out.  I loved the design creation interviews by the artists especially.  I am not sure what the next episodes will uncover, but I plan to tune in!  The first episode is on youtube as well as the site.

After watching, I decided to go into my quilt room to see if I could catch up on my Cheddarback Quilt BOM.  I thought I was four months behind, it turns out that I hadn't printed off one month, so I was actually five months behind!  But I finished up blocks 26-30, so now I am back to being four months behind... however, the first of January is creeping close so I better get busy :)

Cheddarback

I started off with block 27 (the pinwheel-type design) and all I have to say for that one is sashing is a savior!  I chose to do inset seams instead of appliqueing a square over the top of a pinwheel.  I really wonder about blocks of old and how quilters created them.  I have heard that hand piecing can be key for accuracy, perhaps that was how the maker of this quilt did that one well (or maybe sashing was also her savior!).

For the 12" Block 26, can you believe all the background baskets are going in the same direction? 

Cheddarback

The quilt has reached the final length.  I would love to have a floor to ceiling design wall, though I wouldn't be able to reach the top without a step stool :)

Dear Daughter

An update on Dear Daughter:  I am currently handsewing Chapter Six, but here is a quick snap of Chapters 1-5, finished.  I am changing some of the words used so that the quilt feels more likely from me.  In one of the chapters that I have on my table (I have two months worth waiting for me, so not as far behind as I am with Cheddarback), is the section that goes under the "Wander" section.  This project has also outgrown my design wall.

My plan is to continue sewing out of 2019 into 2020.  I have some undecorating to do, but I am hoping that 2020 brings more sewing than previous years.  I would really like to see my stash decrease into new quilts to gift away (mostly as "just because" gifts, though there is one wedding happening in March to think about).  And if you are having a dry spell, go watch the quilting episode of Craft in America, it might just spark an interest again.  Mary, how far away from Lincoln, Nebraska will you be?  I think a trip to the International Quilt Museum should be put on your calendar!

2 comments:

  1. Love the progress pictures. Dear Daughter is awesome. Note to self: I need to quit buying those directional backgrounds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheddarback is looking great. Some of those 5 1/2 inch blocks can be quite challenging, can't they? I loved the craft in America episode, I recorded it on the DVR and will watch it again. The 2nd episode was equally satisfying but it wasn't about quilting. I got the PBS app on my IPAD and it has all the back episodes of Craft in American. I need to get busy and watch them all in case they change things around.

    ReplyDelete