Friday, July 19, 2019

July Update

I finished my Cheddarback July blocks about a week+ ago, but didn't feel like updating just yet.  Before I show those, I wanted to show my newly spruced up ironing table!
Ironing table cover change

Isn't it sad?  The cotton fabric has been very well used, to the point that it is brittle and unsalvageable.   I pulled out a polka dot yardage in my stash that I found on sale, and decided to give that one a go (after choice #1, 2, 3 did not have enough to cover the table).  Now that I have ironed it and got it positioned just right, it is a great fit.
Ironing table cover change Ironing table cover change

I decided between elastic or a tied loop and went with elastic again.  It isn't super tight, but it works well.

Now for my Cheddarback blocks.  I like how my 12" block turned out this month.  I did change the pattern a bit to make it more piecing friendly
Cheddarback Quilt: July

I also decided to paper piece my schoolhouse block... I forgot to reverse the piecing though, so now my schoolhouse is facing the opposite direction as the original :)  Oh well!

Cheddarback Quilt: July

I love how the quilt is coming together.  There are four 5" blocks that go under that final section, but I'm not sure if we'll see those next month or at the very end.  We shall see!

What have I been working on this week (aside from painting the living room--which I am done for now until next week when I can get help on moving a few things), can you see those acorns in that panel pic?  That's what I am currently working on!  Finally.  Hopefully by Monday I will have a progress pic that I will post.  The number I am working towards is 70 acorns!  I am nearly done with the 48 that I have left to make, but it will take a bit of time to sew up the corner triangles.  I also figured out where I went wrong with my original blocks, I read the instructions wrong and I am not sure why I didn't catch my error at the time.

Acorn Quilt Progress
Ok, I just snuck in a picture to show where I'm at with the blocks.  I need to finish this up to move those squares that will end up in the corners off my table!

Anyway... I'll show the complete progress next week.  Happy Friday everyone :)


5 comments:

  1. Lots of tiny piecing happening. Having fun while the hubby is gone, painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that I have enjoyed this camping trip this summer. I haven't felt guilty/sad/lonely/etc at all this time... just sewing, and then finally when the painting whim hit, I did that. Not having to worry about disrupting others or asking others to relocate was a benefit! I still wish I was chosen this week for jury duty, but there's always next week. Also... not having to cook if I didn't want to was the BEST! When Daniel came home on Monday night (stayed until Wednesday at noon), he asked what was for dinner on Tuesday... I dunno, there's a leftover hamburger in the fridge :) haha! Mama's not cooking :)

      Delete
  2. Your Cheddarback blocks look great. I just finished mine today. This is a fun QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are wonderful! I enjoyed your next post about the half squares too. The acorns are wonderful! You are really on a roll! I snuck in a few minutes of sewing last night. Having two kids in the house, including a non-stop chatterbox five year old changes your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, my ironing table needs recovered too. I always just do muslin because one time I had some color bleed on the fabric I covered the board with, but I see so many cute covers at retreats!

    ReplyDelete