Saturday, July 20, 2019

Bonus Half Square Triangles

I just wanted to share a sort of leader/ender bonus hst method.  I really don't like to have to mark/sew/cut as I prefer shortcuts.  Of course your mileage may vary, but once you find what works for you, I think it is a good method.  The corner squares of my acorn quilt are 2 7/8" (was suppose to be 2.5", but I failed to follow directions with my first 21 blocks) so I am able to get a 2" bonus hst out of the other side after trimming and squaring up.

For this block, I am to sew from corner to corner on the 2 7/8" square, trim, repeat.

Bonus HST
On my Omnigrid ruler I have a black dash marking between the 1/4" and 1/8" yellow lines.  It is a bit more than a scant imo, but for these bonus blocks, it is a good margin (though I know 1/4" seam allowance is preferred, which is why I say YMMV).

I think on this block, I actually trimmed it 1/4" away from the corners, but I changed the size after this one to a slightly smaller seam allowance.
Bonus HST
I trim directly at this point, sew the block and then sew the bonus hst.  I am able to work though a whole block without chain stitching many other larger blocks.  I think that it all works out to about the same amount of time to make them in all, but I am removing a step of having to go back over and sewing on a second line then trimming off the bonus hst.

Bonus HST Bonus HST

I have a spot on my machine (both at the foot and in front where I marked) where I know to keep the edges as I sew in order to keep the correct seam allowance.  You may need to play around a bit to find that spot on your machine.  There are also other guide methods that you can use to keep that seam allowance.

Bonus HST

Anyway, I just wanted to share this in case anyone else gets tired of marking like I do.  Whatever works for you.  I have no idea what I am going to do with the bonus hst yet, but I will have 196 to play with... maybe around a border.  They really aren't the best hst because the light fabric has a seam running through it from the frame strips around the acorn.  However the extra seam doesn't jump out glaringly at you, so unless you know it's there, you won't really see the seams.

2 comments:

  1. I use Bonnie Hunter's bonus buddy to make those. That's a Lot of Bonus hsts. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to use that tool, but I don't know where I put it! LOL! The black dashes on the omnigrid are actually the same size as the Bonus Buddy ruler. I found that out during the last Quiltville mystery.

      Delete