Monday, June 17, 2019

Y2K/Millennial Quilt Finish

Another UFO bites the dust!

Millennial Quilt

How many of you traded charm squares in 1998-2000 to come up with 2000 charms to make a Y2K quilt?  I traded with a couple of different groups to add to my stash clippings for this quilt.  Originally it was going to be a graph of dieting success (each square equaled a fraction of a pound loss, but I lost interest and it became a UFO.  I decided a year or so ago to sew it up and yesterday I finally took my last stitch in the binding.  Hooray! One less UFO after 20yrs!
Millennial Quilt


I love the back... I don't know why exactly, but my grid is just inviting.  I was so happy that I ended up with no puckering with it.  However, I did end up with a little issue in a corner which is where the label went to cover it up.  The problem?  That's the top of the quilt.  Oh well.
Millennial Quilt


I tried to find a few fun squares to search for to put on the label:
Millennial Quilt
I had to cut my label a bit larger than I normally do because I already had an idea of what I wanted to put on it--giving it an eye spy style.

And this guy does not make it easy to finish bindings!  Every single time I am finishing up a quilt, he will lay down in my lap.  He NEVER comes to lay down in my lap unless there is a quilt in it that I am actively working on.  I think he has an agenda or something :)
Millennial Quilt

A couple of pictures of the 1.5" squares:
Millennial Quilt Millennial Quilt

I love the fact there's a miracle in the quilt, and I also used some of my mom's stash that I had saved.  The blue stripe fabric in the second photo is one.  Mom made me a blouse from that fabric when I believe I was in 3rd grade.  I'd have to go find my photos to see if that was the shirt I wore.

Did you also make a millennial quilt?

4 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!!! I did not make a quilt, but did trade squares with several people who were looking for people from Idaho. I just put all the squares into my scraps that I received. Who said labels have to be on the bottom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't swap either, I was late to the real Internet until it was over. My 1st swP was a Wasiq swap. I just don't do them snymore. Too much drama and iffy fabrics. Nice to use some from your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I love it when someone finishes a really old UFO. It is so satisfying. Another monkey off your back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on this amazing finish! It is spectacular! And a wonderful memory quilt too!
    I made a couple of lap size Y2K quilts and traded fabrics with others. Your post made me think I should search them out in this house... haven't seen them for a while!

    ReplyDelete