Friday, May 31, 2019

Cheddarback Quilt, Month 3

Cheddarback Month 3

I have been slowly working on this month's set of blocks and last night I finished up the last basket block.  The smaller blocks are only 5", so it was just easier to paper piece that one instead of typical machine piecing.  I didn't quite follow the directions and ended up needing to fudge in more fabric to make it work.  Also, I need to either paint, draw or embroider more to that basket because I have been sick and apparently it affects my ability to see value in the the fabrics! LOL!  I am not taking it apart and redoing because of the teeny tiny stitches to rip and the likelihood that I would rip the fabric instead of the teeny tiny stitches!

Cheddarback Month 3

And the first three months altogether:

Cheddarback Month 3

Here's a funny regarding May's blocks... I thought yesterday was May 31 and I was proud I finished two hours prior to June hitting.  Imagine my surprise when I went to turn the calendar this morning and found that today is still May :)  I will use today to darken up that basket I think!


5 comments:

  1. These blocks are really beautiful. I saw the original at the Shipshewana retreat last month when Gay brought it out to show. I love the reds and age-stained creams of the backgrounds. I want to make it but have not yet started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of the blocks are kind of daunting in their perceived simplicity. I had a hard time with the one that has the pinwheel in the middle because I wanted to do it a certain way--and I could not get it to work right. I finally gave in and did the alternative that Gay wrote. It has been a fun quilt to work on though! I feel like it challenges me much in the same way that my Jane Stickle quilt did.

      Delete
  2. The gremlins must have crossed to my side of the state. Great blocks. I am not a fan of Paper piecing even tiny blocks. I know it makes very precise blocks. Have a great June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blocks are great, even the low contrast one! So funny you found an extra day in May!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be a wonderful quilt! I love the controlled scrappiness of it. And those cute little blocks! Isn't it fun when we get the BOMs completed within the month??? :)

    ReplyDelete