Sunday, November 15, 2015

A little bit of this and that

 Today I spent most of the day cleaning up my closet.  It has become a place to stuff fabrics and other things.  It got to the point where I couldn't see what I had on hand, which is very frustrating.  This is one of those projects that I really have to work up to before diving in.  Today was the day.  It started when I wanted to gather up fabrics for Bonnie Hunter's mystery that starts at the end of the month.  I knew I had the reds, but I couldn't get to them... And now I am 90% organized and I have my fabrics for the mystery ready to go.  I haven't decided yet which gray to use.  I think the lighter version will be too light and will blend with the background too much.
Allietare Mystery

I'm all caught up with my Bitty Blocks, now I wait for December to roll out.  I was first planning to make the tree blocks by regular piecing... well either I have lost a triangle ruler or I never had one that size, but I could not get the angle correct.  I bit the bullet and paper pieced the 20 trees today.  I don't mind paper piecing, but I don't enjoy it as much.  For the log cabins I finished last week, I just pieced them as normal vs paper piecing.  It was a little tricky being sure I had the right size and seam allowance, but they turned out great.
Bitty Blocks: January-November

And altogether now..... :)
Bitty Blocks: January-November

After cleaning out my closet today, I decided that I cannot make any new fabric purchases.  Or maybe I'll change that to whim purchases.  I have so much fabric and I doubt I'd use it all up in my lifetime, I need to use it!  I'd like to start making more charity quilts, but I haven't lit that fire yet.  I need to start looking around for various requirements for the different charities.  I think I'd like to look for something that focuses on foster kids or something with children in general.  We'll see what 2016 brings.

3 comments:

  1. I pulled my mystery fabrics this morning. It's a treasure hunt for sure. :) I'm trying not to buy fabric too. Only when I need it to complete a quilt. Except I had to buy gray and golds for the mystery. I needed it. LOL

    I like the darker gray-it's fun fabric! Your bitty blocks!!! OMG it's amazing! Those flying geese, really Melissa they are fabulous! What size are they? Can't wait to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I'm leaning towards the darker grays I think. looking at them after taking the picture helped. I'm looking forward to this mystery, those are some of my favorite colors to use.

      I am loving the bitty block quilt too! The flying geese are a typical 1.5x2" finished. I sewed them up during the June Gwinnwood retreat... perfect mindless sewing project while trying to chat :) I think the quilt will end up being around 64x66" without a border... so I am planning to add one. I'm not sure what yet, but I have seen a checkerboard as a suggestion.

      Delete
  2. I haven't chosen my fabrics yet. I have almost 2 weeks. I hear ya on the not NEEDING to buy anymore fabrics in my lifetime. I'm not sure I have Bonnie's colors so we shall see if I go shopping later this week. I love your BItty Blocks!

    ReplyDelete