Tuesday, April 16, 2019

2019 Humble Quilts Doll Quilt Swap

I love Pinterest.  The ability to visually find items is a favorite way to search for me.  In finding pinsperation for this year's Humble Quilts Doll Quilt swap I came across one very humble quilt that really caught my eye.  I wish the image was pinned from the page and not simply from an uploaded portion because I would have loved to know more about it.

Isn't it cute?  Economy Patch aka Square in a Square.
Antique doll quilt inspiration image I found

My creation:
2019 Humble Quilts Doll Swap

This year I wanted to stick with mainly browns.  I did add some fabrics to my civil war stash, but honestly I think it is getting a little harder today to find true reproduction fabrics--or I haven't found a source that I believe is true to the prints.  20yrs ago it seemed easier as many fabrics were being created using prints from the 1800's, today it seems like many of the prints are "inspired".

2019 Humble Quilts Doll Swap

I had fun with the back.  I also decided to use up some authentic cadet blue scraps that I had kept moving around my quilt room for years.  The prints are so cute!  I know fabric historians would frown against it, but it is a doll quilt and they are in strong/perfect condition.  Better in a quilt than simply being shifted from my desk to drafting table to who knows where.  I don't have a book started for fabric swatches, nor do I want to start one... so that's why they were placed into the fun scrappy backing.

2019 Humble Quilts Doll Swap

Aren't the riding helmets and oak leaves lovely?

The lacy leaves below are cute too!  Clicking through the photos to the flickr page, you can then zoom in to really get a good look at them.
2019 Humble Quilts Doll Swap

This year my quilt flew to New Zealand.  Wow on the shipping costs.  This makes a few years in a row that I have mailed outside of the US and the spike in costs is really something, even at 10 ounces.  I haven't investigated alternative mailing options, I am guessing they are all similar.  The person I sent to went to the Australasian Quilt Convention and was out of town when the doll quilt did arrive.  She'll be picking it up today so I wanted to wait in posting just in case she saw my blog.  I know people like to post their created quilts for the swap (usually on the facebook page) before mailing, but I wanted it to be more of a surprise for when she opened the package.

Another fun exchange for 2019!  I haven't received my quilt yet, I am not sure where it will be flying in from.  I was an early mailer this year because my heart fell in love with that first quilt above.  Unlike this year, I tend to mail closer to the April 30 mailing deadline :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I love it! Mine hasn't arrived yet either. Sending International it's good for you to finish and send early. Lucky her! My source of Repros went out of business. I heard a new Quilt shop opened in Benton City that I will have to check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool you have a new shop opening! With my shop closing, that also leaves me with one less place to search in person. They had a lot of 30's repros, but a bit less in the civil war style. For some of them, seeing the fabric in person helps. But this time around I was looking for some fabrics to boost my dwindling stash (I'm also using it for my Cheddarback quilt), and I really had a hard time. Should I tease you again with "I know where your quilt is coming from..." :) I thought it was funny for the amount of swappers, and in the mailing what are the chances to be grouped with your name in it? :)

      Delete
  2. Haha lucky you...I didn't read your blog until today, just after I opened your parcel. Once again thank you so much for the beautiful doll quilt. I meant to say in my email to you, how cute the back is. I love to piece my backs, although I have't done it with a doll quilt! Great idea for next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it. I had fun making it! At least my binding is a bit cleaner than the original version :) but honestly, I find that kind of charming too.

      Delete
  3. You and Mary having fun with the doll quilts is making me jealous, but I hate civil war repros! LOL I would love to do a swap with pretty fabrics! :) :) :) It is a wonderful quilt you made though and I love the pieced back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should create a doll quilt swap and have like 4 categories to choose from. 24" or less. That would be fun!

      Delete