Monday, April 15, 2019

New Quilt Start

I like to buy kits.  This started a few years ago when my creative juices seriously waned, I think around the time that my youngest joined our family.  He was very active/busy and any sort of quilting creativity really taxed my brain.  Kits were a perfect answer, I could still be creative and everything was right there and ready for me.  I still have a huge fabric stash, but falling back to kits has been a constant.

Acorn Table Runner

Around the beginning of the year I browsed sales from a few different sites.  I had a hard time connecting with keepsake quilting, and my friend Julie reminded me of Shabby Fabrics.  They have super fast shipping and the prices are good.  I fell in love with Lori Holt's Autumn Love line, and the pattern of the acorns is so cute.  I decided that I want to make it into a lap quilt...  and not having any idea who would end up with it, the hubby suggested his birthmom who I haven't made anything for yet.  Perfect!

Acorn Table Runner

The pattern is a good one, but the corner triangles seem to be written for a ruler I don't have and it doesn't say to cut 4" squares diagonally twice... I haven't checked for errata, but my test blocks seem ok.  I ended up using my Simple Folded Corners Ruler to find the 1/4" markings and went from there by drawing a line to line up the triangle long edge.  I don't think my points are going to match perfectly however.  I am wondering now (since I am going to do a lap quilt) if I added sashing and a cornerstone if that would help remove the problem of points not lining up?  Which means I need to buy more background fabric again... at least I know where to find it now!

Acorn Table Runner

The box for the table runner kit is very cute.  Not sure what I will do with it, maybe as a gift down the line.

I still haven't found a photo editing program I like.  I ended up using my phone for these with a flash.  Anyway... 5 blocks done and 15 more to go with this bunch.  The blocks are 7x8" finished, so I think I want to make at least 40 more, and then if I do make sashing, that will help with the size.  I just love these fabrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment