Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Old Post: Dec 28, 2012... a Finished Jane Top!

***Note, this is from my first blog which got overtaken by a spam virus, and I ended up shutting it down. While reading through Feedly (where I read my blogs), I discovered when clicking on my old blog (I never unsubscribed my old blog) I could pull up old posts.  I am thrilled because now I can place certain posts here and save them.  I will have this note on top of any post that is from my old blog****
_______________________________________
**update 8/2014: Here is a link to my finished Jane Quilt.  After encouragement from friends, I decided to go ahead and enter Jane into The Evergreen State Fair in Monroe (runs Aug 21-Sep 1).  Hopefully she at least wins a 6th place ribbon :)  I entered it as an intermediate, but I am nervous about that as this quilt includes 14yrs of skill building, meaning perfect points may not have always happened.  On top of that, this is the first time I have ever entered anything in for judging (aside from when I did 4H rabbits as a kid).  I have had quilts sent to the Houston show for special exhibit, but that wasn't judged... I think I just have something against being judged :)  When we go to the fair in a couple of weeks, I will post a fair picture of Jane.
________________________________________
Today I finished up one triangle:
bottom 13: Argyle
The embroidery on the final corner:
corner 4
(I should really photoshop that piece of linty fabric off the block! of course I didn’t notice it until I uploaded pics).
And I sewed the final border on for this:
A finished quilt top!
yah!!
Right now it is getting ready to be pin basted. The backing, batting, and top are altogether, I just wanted to take a break for a few minutes. Pretty productive afternoon. Plus this morning I finished up my Easy Street clue 7, so I’m just waiting for Monday for the next one. I’m glad we won’t have to wait until next Friday for that.
The quilt top measures about 82″ square. I am using Kona white and some scraps for the backing, along with a color swatch guide that I made about halfway through this project:
Dear Jane fabric placement
I’m not sure how I will quilt this one yet. I plan to quilt in the sashings and then go back through the blocks with various designs. I thought about adding a white border and quilt a feather pattern through that, but this top is finished and this will most likely be the last update for a while (at least until the quilt is finished).
________________________________________________
ETA 12/30/12: later that night… the math seemed off, and I was right. I was off by 1000. Because that error was too big for me to just let go, I made a new block. Since I marked my block with a thin pigma pen, I couldn’t simply remove the embroidery and fix my error…. so, I tested removing pigma pen marking on another piece of fabric and was not successful. Tonight I finished applique and embroidery on my new corner and I am very pleased. I have some tails that I need to clip from the perle cotton (a variegated Valdani) since it is showing through, but at this point I am now ready to QUILT THIS BABY!
Bottom Corner: redone

1 comment:

  1. Here's hoping for the Ribbon to be a BIG one! You deserve it for all the years it took to make this one. If Julie, Marilee or I were judging you know it would WIN!

    ReplyDelete