Friday, March 8, 2019

A New Quilt Start: Cheddarback BOM

I haven't been in a sewing mood for the past couple of weeks following finishing up the outer space quilt.  However, in the last week I came across a new free block of the month (as long as you are current in the month) by Gay Bomers at Sentimental Stitches called Cheddarback Quilt.  She is drafting the patterns from a quilt she acquired--and I am trying to find out the story about it, but have been unsuccessful so far.  It has a great range of 1800's fabrics and some different block patterns in it.  There is one block that will be changed, but otherwise it is a mix of challenging and easy.  Check it out, save the patterns as the first of the month rolls around.  It is a 14 month BOM.

Cheddarback Quilt BOM

Block 5 in that bottom right corner? That was interesting.. there are only 8 pieces in that block, but it took some thinking. I ended up using freezer paper paper piecing to put it together, and my Y seam worked out perfectly, and my musical note background is all going in the same direction :)   The small blocks are 5" finished, and for the most part they are pretty close--sashing will save me, especially for block 5.

I decided to use my Dear Jane fabrics I had collected and saved, better in a quilt than a box.

Also, I think I have a starting mix of fabrics for my Gypsy Wife quilt.  I pulled some fat quarters that I've had sitting around from past Quilty Box months.  I should be able to pull more as it goes on.

Gypsy Wife
This photo was taken with my Ott Light on, so it's a little blown out.  They are slightly more subdued and muted.

I still need to finish up the Scrappy Trips blocks, but with quilters adhd, I started something new instead :)




4 comments:

  1. Love your first blocks! #5 is very cool; I can't believe you got your music notes all going the same way. Way to go!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at that BOM, read all I could find on it and then held my breath and said NO Judy! LOL Love all your fabrics for Gypsy Wife. I've also looked at that one since it came out and so far it hasn't screamed loud enough. I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at that one too. $5 per month is how I read it. I don't need a new project either. Avoiding your squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are soi funny with your new projects! What fun though! Your gypsy wife fabrics are awesome!

    ReplyDelete