Monday, June 13, 2016

Evergreen State BOM: Top Complete!

First of all.... one of these things is not like the other!
Evergreen State BOM

funny thing, you may already be able to figure out what the answer is to get the chevrons to go the correct way. Not me! It took me until after I gave up and put the block in the quilt, and laying awake in bed at 11:30 before I figured out the simple fix! Simply make the current centers of the chevrons the outside. So I got up and ripped out 8 seams to fix the block, and now I am happy. I kind of prefer the way the wrong way chevrons look overall, but of course that doesn't flow with the airplanes.

Evergreen State BOM

All fixed up!

After I put together the center of the top, I decided that I would give the wheat border a whirl. I made sure I used a ton of Best Press though. I've said it so many times, but it's worth mentioning again--this quilt is made nearly entirely of blocks with bias fabric. I got a chuckle at reading the last section of instructions regarding wavey borders (or edges). I think it would have helped if not only recommending the measurement from the center but also using starch throughout the entire quilt as you construct. Though many of the blocks look pretty basic, this was not a beginner quilt at all.

Evergreen State BOM
My wheat was a little "off", but it measured 3" unfinished. (it's also clipped on one edge for the photo, so it's pulling a bit, but you can see in the wheat stalk center that it's a bit off).

The top is so large now that I have to clip it up sideways on my wall for a picture.  I am going to have to check my yardage stash and see what I have to work with for a backing.  I'm overall pleased, and I am just about out of all the fabrics that I purchased for it.  This was an expensive quilt for the way I bought fabrics and bits for it :)
Evergreen State BOM

5 comments:

  1. It looks good Mel. I don't see a mistake in the Chevron's at all. They look like smoke trails behind the planes. Hope you're bringing it to the Retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fab. I didn't see anything wrong with the planes either, till you explained further. They look good both ways. But I'd have to fix them too...to match the pattern. ;)
    Will be fun to see how you quilt this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how our brains work and when the solutions hit us! The quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome quilt! It turned out wonderfully, even with all that bias! It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome quilt! It turned out wonderfully, even with all that bias! It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete