Saturday, February 1, 2014

Three New Projects

I have two new quilts in my mind to complete by this spring.  I am going to be a grandma in May (excited!) and when I asked what sorts of things they are needing, I was asked about a quilt :)  It was actually already a given that I was going to make one, but I was thrilled with that answer.  Since my future granddaughter also has an older brother (2 years old), I asked about making him one as well.  The colors?  For the girl: pink and black; boy green and black.

I haven't decided if I want to do solid black or tones for either, maybe a mix.  In the meantime, I have been "gathering" black prints:

Black and White
The top black prints have a slight grey/lavender color, so I think they would go really well with a pink quilt.  And the bottom black prints would work well with a few other black prints I have for the green quilt.

I have been idea-collecting, and I think I have a plan for the green quilt: Tonga Rising Sun pattern from Timeless Treasures (free pattern at Hancocks of Paducah).  I think it will be an easy and visually pleasing quilt with black and greens.  I actually have a red and black quilt that I put together from antique blocks that is very similar (which reminds me, I should hang it up) that I love.

For the pink quilt, I am still trying to decide, but I have an idea in mind using my Quick Curve Ruler.  I made a baby quilt from that once before (Urban Nine Patch), but I am going to do a different pattern for this one.
Urban Nine Patch:

Urban Nine Patch, finished and bound



On to something else.  I am surprised at myself for this one.

Navajo Code Talkers

I thought after my Jane quilt I would be putting those types a fabrics to the side for a lot longer.... but nooooo... I thumbed through my Keepsake Quilting catalog and saw this quilt and was taken in with it.  It is not my typical choice since I tend to gravitate more towards bright, yellows, purples, pinks, etc... if it is bright, I'm usually there!  This one felt very soothing to me.  I actually did not buy the pattern from Keepsake Quilting.  As much as I enjoy their catalogs, I find them to be on the more expensive side.

I'm thinking a blue flannel would make a good backing for this one.  I may start on this one this week.  Looks very simple, and very comforting.  I suppose that would make this my first new project of 2014.

On the pattern is this Navajo Proverb:
"Thoughts are like arrows, once released they strike their mark.  Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim".
Truth in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment