Thursday, February 6, 2014

Navajo Code Talkers

I think I figured out why I was drawn to this quilt pattern (Navajo Code Talkers), it reminded me of the simplicity and fabrics from my mom's quilt that her grandmother made for her:


Mom's Quilt
It was originally tied with pink yarn, but over the years the wadding inside was clumped and there were many seams and areas that needed to be repaired.  Twelve years ago I took it apart and trimmed this one patch quilt, repairing areas that needed it and quilted it diagonally.  The backing is the same backing, a piece of woven blue and white plaid.  Perfect for this quilt.

Mom's Quilt

I just love the fabrics.

Mom's Quilt

Mom's Quilt

I've always loved Mom's quilt, and I am glad to still have it--though it was basically totally remade.  But I am happy to still be able to see the quilt and remember her and know that I worked on something that my great grandmother also did.

Here are seven sections that I have worked on for the Navajo Code Talkers quilt:

Navajo Code Talkers


I have pulled out some very old fabrics, some CW repros from my Jane quilt, and some newer fabrics for this quilt.  The blocks are generally finishing at 4", but the entire block put together with strips will be 15" finished.  When I bought the pattern I did not realize they were that large.

I am enjoying this project, and it is clearing out the cobwebs as I think about what my granddaughter's baby quilt is going to look like!

No comments:

Post a Comment