Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Eagle Quilt: Process pt 3

I think it's part three anyway :)  I have one more border round I want to do, and then it will be time to quilt.  I hadn't planned on making this a square quilt, but with the final border that I am considering, it comes out to 90" square and that is large enough.  I'm not sure how I add to the top and bottom only, but I will likely play with that a bit tonight just to see.  I've included an EQ mock up, but I am not very good at using that program.  My corners on the final round aren't exactly what I want, but it's the general idea (need to change around the four patches if I do this).  At this point I can't really cover up the quilt top on my wall very well, my Straits of Mackinac top isn't wide enough.  This weekend while the guys are off camping, I am planning to do some blanket stitch on the rest of the eagle.  I needle turn appliqued the body, but fused the feather portions and feet.  I thought about just waiting until I quilt, but I want to be sure it doesn't come off.

Eagle Quilt

I still had some fabric from the old Boy Scouts line (can't remember who did that run), and I was able to get all rank badges except the first rank.  It made a nice filler for these spots.
Eagle Quilt


I am not good at using EQ at all... but this is generally what I have in mind.  I use this star a lot in my projects, I really like the angles.
eagle

That's the update.  Hopefully I'll have more than a top when Daniel finally reaches Eagle :)

3 comments:

  1. Cool! Love the star border. Sawtooth Stars would be quicker. Glad it's still a secret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is already an amazing quilt.....that last border is really going to put it on a higher amazing level! What a special gift this will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite star block! That's the perfect border! This quilt is just fabulous, I can't say it enough. I hope you bring it with you so I can see it in person. Even if it isn't finished.

    ReplyDelete