Tuesday, May 12, 2015

1000 Pyramids

Last week one of my dearest friends asked me what I thought about helping her with a baby quilt.  She doesn't quilt, or sew.  Now, this would have been a great learning opportunity but she was thinking about the quilt being a gift for a baby shower over Memorial Day weekend.  I wasn't really sure, my May calendar is very packed and we are getting ready to head to Nevada that same weekend to visit kids and grandkids.

We talked a bit about fabrics, I knew she wanted something that felt Hawaiian (she and the nephew who is about to become a dad are Hawaiian)... all I could think about was how it takes me forever to decide a pattern much less pick the fabrics and actually get busy.

I started browsing patterns and then it hit me that a week prior I had received a fat quarter packet of Kaffe Fassett fabrics in reds (well, it said reds but to me the 2015 reds lean more fuchsia IMO).  The large flowers seemed like they could work as a tropical feel so I took a quick pic to see what she thought--She loved them, success!  I ended up running with the project and decided on 1000 Pyramids (4" tall triangles) to show off the fabrics.  I've always wanted to make this quilt, so this was my chance.  I'm glad my friend didn't mind that I just worked on it without her, we need to plan some time when we aren't running from place to place with our kids.


1000 Pyramids

and the back which is like a Minkee, but a Joanns brand.  If I had the time I would have ordered Minkee, but time crunch!:
1000 Pyramids

There is a bit of wave at the bottom, and squaring it was not fun.  But it turned out decent and I feel ok about letting it out of the house for a new baby :)  A happy ending to this quilt-in-a-week!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome! I love it and this was super quick! The colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am currently on a kaffe fassett kick. I have another quilt in mind with his fabrics that will probably be showing up soon :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you could do this for your friend! Was it hard to sew the pyramids??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. I used my Tri-Rec tool so it was easy getting it all lined up. The worst part was the bias stretch that happened. I could have probably played with it a little more to ease that, but it worked in the end. You can see a slight curl on that left corner :(

      Delete
  3. I love those kinds of triangle quilts. I've made a couple myself and am always surprised at how fast it goes. Yours is wonderful. Love Kaffe! Oh and your quilting is perfect....again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are great for an ego boost, Cindy :) Thanks! I think I am going to make another one, but I think I am going to make the bordered triangles in Kaffe Fassett first. I love those fabrics.

      Delete