Saturday, October 4, 2014

SBOW: Block 11

Finally, a new update.
SBOW: Block 11

I finished up block 11 tonight.  I really should have finished this days ago, but I have been in a bit of a funk and sewing just hasn't been calling to me.  This block has (I think) four more flower pieces to add on after the top is sewn together.  They remind me of Christmas lights, and I can't say that they are my favorite of this quilt.  I should have changed them up a bit.

I have two more blocks left and the top will be finished (minus the applique border--still thinking on that).  The center applique block of this quilt has initials appliqued of the maker, but I am thinking about putting in a cat instead in tribute to my Gracie.  I am pretty sure losing her is a big part of the reason for my moods recently too, she has really left a huge hole in my heart.  I have a facebook friend who recently wrote something about our pets aren't kids, basically to stop referring them in this way (and he does have a dog).  I didn't respond to that, nor did I ever reference Gracie in that way--I know he wasn't talking about anything I said, but the fact is that some pets just leave huge holes in our hearts.  Seeing that he posted it so soon after I wrote about her being put down was not great timing however.

They become a big part of our families (if we are lucky) for  a large number of years.  I think sometimes people say things without thinking--or in an effort to just be a curmudgeon or sarcastic, but quite honestly I have loved our family pets more than some people I have to be in contact with.  Pets have a way of bringing out joy and calmness in people who are otherwise stuck (be it depression or mentally incapable for whatever reason).  If animals didn't bring out these human emotions, service animals would be ineffective and non-existent.

So no, our pets aren't human kids, but you cannot dismiss or diminish their part in the lives of people who love them entirely.  Anyway... I guess I had to get that all off my chest.  I can't say I feel better, but eventually it will be as with any loss.  And for anyone who doesn't know my story, I have buried two parents when I was 32 and 33, along with grandparents, mother in law, uncles, and a nephew.  I do know close loss of the human kind.  Maybe they are different to some, but that loss is still there and the pain can last for a long time.

Maybe now I can get back to sewing again.


4 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying seeing each of your blocks on the project. I'm sorry your fb friend gave you negative feedback. When my son was five, we lost my mother in May and our 14 yo dog in the fall. I was upset that my son was grieving more for the dog than my mother, until I realized that our Chessie had been with him every day of his life. We saw my mother almost every week, yet the dog was a more intimate member of our family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point, and good for you on realizing this as a likely reason.

      I should have noted that to date no loss has compared to having lost my mom. It has been 11yrs and at times it still feels like just yesterday. I am glad for the relationship I had with her, I know many aren't as lucky.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry someone offended you, people don't think all the time. I have had pets most of my life as part of a family, but the loss of my son was the hardest thing I have ever lived through. It was tough losing our dog Nick, as he was basically raised with my kids and Doug is worried about how we will feel when Brad's dog Kanobi dies. I feel horrible that we were not able to take his cat and if I had known he wouldn't end up being able to stay with the family that took him I would have gotten brave and taken in a second cat. We were worried about Smokey adapting to him, being 15 and always by himself. Anyway I hope you can think of happy thoughts of Gracie and the cat on the quilt sounds like a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad that Brad's cat did find a good home though. You were on my mind as I wrote this post too, btw, because that loss was so profound, I just can't imagine Julie. And more, you know that Kenobi felt that loss too, so that also adds in that animals have a connection. My fb friend didn't really offend me, I don't believe he wrote that even in response to anything I wrote, it was bad timing, but it just hit a chord with me. Now I just need to find some good wool for the cat. I think I am going to use the one from the Folk Art Album.

      Delete