Saturday, February 22, 2014

UFO Progress For February

I finally had the urge to do some sewing today.  I planned to do a few strips on my Navajo Code Talkers quilt, but instead decided to figure out the cutting on the disappearing pinwheels.  Let me be the first to NOT recommend doing that block  It would have been much easier to do it the typical way as this way is not any faster AND everything is bias (meaning the stretch factor is pretty terrible).  I will work my way through this one and never do that method again.

How the day started

BTW.... we had a delivery of Girl Scout cookies dropped off. Terrible things those are! But so yummy with coffee :)

After cutting 10 blocks (of 20), I had an epiphany of what I wanted to do for a neighbor's 2yo daughter who just had heart surgery.  Kevin suggested balloons or something along those lines a couple of days ago, but it hit me that I had a partial quilt top that I could finish up and it would be perfect for her.  Stretched Star in batiks and hand dyes.  I started it probably 10+ years ago, and originally the plan was it would be a baby quilt for a daughter I hoped we would adopt.  It is a cheerful quilt top.

fabrics

I love the fabrics.

I wanted a Minkee backing so a trip to Joanns was in order.  I didn't want to overly quilt it since I feel it needs to be soft and comforting, I am pleased with how it turned out.  The outside border has rows of hearts, very appropriate.


Stretched Star Comfort Quilt

I'll deliver it tomorrow or Monday, when she is discharged from the hospital.

When I was preparing the binding, I was a little blinded by both the fabric and nail polish! As I did my nails last night I didn't realize how bright the pink polish really was.  My polish almost works well with the batiks in general, how's that for planning?
Blinded!

Last step is to make a label.  Tomorrow I plan to return to the disappearing pinwheels again and get them off my table before the get all stretched and unusable.

2 comments:

  1. That is an awesome finish and gift! Love how cheerful it is and the matching nail polish is a nice touch. Thanks for the warnings on the disappearing pinwheels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Marilee is making Disappearing Pinwheels this week too. I love your Stretched stars. I thought it might be you Siggy quilt when I first saw the pic. Great finish for February!

    ReplyDelete