Sunday, December 16, 2018

Weekend Wrap-up

Clue Four is here!  Yah!  I was hoping this quilt would involve strings, and this was the clue I was waiting for :)  I finished sewing Clue 3, and have pressed the long pieces but I still need to press and square up the half-square triangles.  That will be this week's project.

This weekend was filled with making cookie dough, almond roca, and in the wee hours of Sunday morning I decided to begin baking them.  The youngest child's alarm clock was going off at 2:16 and he wasn't turning it off.  After I woke up, carefully walked across his lego mined floor to turn it off and I could not go back to sleep.  45 minutes later I went downstairs and turned on the oven.  At least now all the cookie packages are put together and either already gifted to neighbors today or are ready to be mailed this Wednesday.  I have been dreading baking to be honest... I have been doing the paleo diet (started with Whole30 in September) and the thought of the sugary treats sitting in the house make me nervous.  Unlike soda, giving up sugar has been much harder.  My plan for December is to do my best and be ready to perhaps do another Whole30 month in January.

Oh!  and our Boy Scout troop's tree lot was sold out on Saturday!  10 days before Christmas!  In our 8yrs with the troop we've never experienced that so it was really cool.  Hubby's (he's the scoutmaster) words put it best:
Just shortly after the last shift of the night began, there were 2 trees remaining.  A gentleman came walking over and asked for me by name.  He stated that he wanted to bless the next two families who came to the lot wanting to buy a tree.  He paid full price for the 2 remaining Douglas Fir trees - $50 each.  He stated that he had been blessed in his life and wanted to share.  He stated that he appreciated us all spending our time at the lot.  We were all flabbergasted at his generosity and should his hand and thanked him.  He then pulled out his wallet and handed us a $78 tip!  On TOP of the $100 he had just paid for the trees.
Thanks to this gentleman's generosity, a single mother of two and a widower on a fixed income were blessed this evening with a tree.

He added in encouragement to live by the Scout Slogan of Do a good turn daily, which doesn't have to just involve treasure, but their time or talent in helping others.  This was a great year for the tree lot, even with one "unpaid" sale and two bad trees.  I enjoy this fundraiser.

Now... on to Clue 4!
Good Fortune Clue 4

Orange strings!!


Guess what my high school colors were?
Good Fortune Clue 4

Orange and green :)  My high school is now a homeschool network location as it merged with another local high school a year after I graduated.  For the new school colors they kept the green and added it to one of the other high school's colors.  I can't remember at the moment what the color is.  They then kept the orange and the other color as secondary/highlights.  I have to say that growing up in the 80's during the bight neon times, school spirit weeks were fun!

Thanks Bonnie Hunter for another fun mystery!  Link up here: https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2018/12/mystery-monday-link-up-part-4.html

4 comments:

  1. Your units look great! Love the variety of oranges you used in your units. That is SUCH a great story about the tree lot -- wish we had more people like that in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as traffic congestion really is a negative in my town, our community as a whole really is something special. We even made the Readers Digest Finalist spot for "The Nicest Place in America". https://www.rd.com/nicestplaces/bothell-wa/ Thanks for your comment this morning! Happy sewing :)

      Delete
  2. Happy days ahead now that all the trees are sold. Enjoy your Christmas. Funny how you had these colors in the 70's in HS. Ours were Crimson and Gold. I liked my kids School colors. That's when I really started liking Purple. Have fun stringing. Not as fun for me. I wonder where they will play in the Quilt. No guesses yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice vibrant colors. What a heartwarming story of the tree lot.

    ReplyDelete