Saturday, April 29, 2017

Eagle Quilt: Process

Now that I have the center medallion finished, I needed to surround it with the background fabric to square it.  I'm not sure yet what the center size will be, it will depend on my next steps in construction.

finding my quarter sections was simple with the number of wedges used for the pattern:
One large quarter

I had to use two layers of freezer paper to cover the entire quarter. I traced along the edge and then added a quarter seam:
Tracing 1/4" seam allowance

And here we go with trepidation I cut two layers at a time.  I matched the two ends of the yardage so that one side would have the words upside down.  I turned the template and cut two more sections in the same method.
The largest Drunkards Path template I've ever made...

After making sure the words on the background fabric were all going the same direction, I sewed the background together at the ends and then pinned it to the center.
Placing the background fabric in the right position so the words are going the correct direction


All together.  Now to figure out what size the center will be

The fabric isn't quite "smoothed" yet on my wall, but I can tell I may have to do something to the bottom near the tail to ensure no waves.  I'm thinking I may unpick and resew.

Currently it is over 64" square, but I will be trimming it back quite a bit (probably close to the sides/top/bottom of the center.  I'm not set yet what I will be adding around this medallion, but I have some block ideas in mind.  I've been pinning a few ideas on pinterest since I started planning this quilt last summer.

I am thrilled with how the center has turned out!

2 comments:

  1. It's a great looking Eagle! I've seen this done before in Blues and grays. Hope you son doesn't read our BLOG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Yeah, there's likely a 0% chance of him reading it :) Thank you for suggesting to look at Robin Ruth's method. I've done that before in the past, not sure why I didn't consider it first for this one--other than the pieces were huge! I did resew the bottom and now it lays flat, yah!!

      Delete