Sunday, August 2, 2015

A Finish and Retreat Time!

I just got back from a quilt retreat and I had such a great time!  I love quilt retreats but they don't happen very often because of logistics with the kids.  But I have been able to sneak in at least one a year for the last few years now (actually, thinking about it... two a year!).

First, I finished Orca Bay!  I am so excited!  I had a goal to get it done so I could enter it into the fair this year, so for the last two weeks I have been working on my Juki after doodling some designs on my post-it notes (I like to have post-it notes around the house for all sorts of things, including if a design pops into my head or I see inspiration for a quilt).
Orca Bay aka "Kaffee Klatsch at Orca Bay"

A closer-up pic of the border and blocks:
Orca Bay aka "Kaffee Klatsch at Orca Bay"
The border inspiration are waves and whales spouting out water.

I was so surprised when I got to the retreat, my friend Julie had a gift for me and it was her contribution to Quiltmaker's Scrap Squad!  Dogwoods in Bloom by my friend Julie Huffman

Dogwoods in Bloom by my friend Julie Huffman
To say I was so excited for this quilty gift is an understatement!  It even had a sleeve already on it, and now it is hanging up in my living room :)  I absolutely love it!!


And now the boys are trying out making ice cream.  I, on the hand, bought some Talenti gelato to try out instead (because some friends at the retreat were talking about how good it is).  I don't know if I'll share or not :)
Ice Cream


I have two other projects that I finished the blocks on at this retreat too.  I started them at the retreat I went to in June, so it feels great to have those ready to be placed into a top.  One will be a gift, so I am going to wait to post about it, and maybe I will make up another blog post about the other.  Most of all, I am so happy to have my Orca Bay finished.  I absolutely love that quilt so much... I called it "Coffee Time at Orca Bay" since I used coffee fabrics for the browns, but today I was thinking that I should have named it "Kaffee Klastch at Orca Bay" since I started the quilt project at one retreat and finished it at another... there is a lot of talking and visiting at retreat, they are special times for sure.

And last but not least, my vine is finally blooming.  I have to search to find out what kind it is again, but I have been waiting two years for a bloom!  This was the year finally!
Blooming Vine
edit: It is some sort of hybrid of the trumpet vine campsis radicans, but it dies back in the winter so not so invasive as it would be in the south.  Also, I have one that is grafted to a stalk and the other is more of a creeping vine.  This one is from the creeping vine, but the other is starting to finally put on blooms too.
Happy August everyone!

7 comments:

  1. I'm up reading blogs cause I can't sleep. What a nice thing for Julie to do. It was her Birthday week and she gave you a quilt! You had just the right space to hang it too. Congrats on a great finish! I didn't do the Orca Bay because of the string blocks. I afraid that Bonnie might have some String blocks in her next Mystery. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you saw me start it, and it wasn't that bad really :) I will admit though that the quilt is a bit heavier because of all the seams (and the fact I used flannel adds to that too--but the strings alone add more heft). You could always just pick a matching color group and go with that as a single block instead of strings too.

      Delete
  2. Oh Mel, Orca Bay is fabulous. I need to make another since I gave mine away. How special to own one of Julie's quilts. And to have the perfect space all ready for it. Lucky you!! Is your gorgeous flower a trumpet vine? Whatever it is, it sure is pretty. Glad you had a great time at retreat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do need to make another! Julie is such an awesome person, you just never know when something will show up that's from her :) As for the vine, it is some sort of trumpet vine but I am trying to remember the name. I'm pretty sure I wrote about it on facebook a couple of years ago after my then-puppy Gordon killed the first one (I ended up replacing it) by chewing it up before it was fully rooted. It's nice to have some flowers because Kevin didn't water my baskets and they are looking really brown and dead right now!

      Delete
  3. It's been so great to watch the progress on Orca Bay and I was excited to see you take the last stitches! I'm glad you like the quilt, it was fun to watch you open it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people we didn't know were probably saying "what is this crazy lady going squealing about!" LOL!

      Delete
  4. Your color combo of Orca Bay is great! And the quilting. I´ve got Bonnie´s book and would like to make it sometimes. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete