Sunday, September 7, 2014

SBOW: Block six

Finally....

SBOW: Block six
This one has leaves extending to the left, and a couple of berries (and maybe leaves, I can't remember) that extend as well.

Six finished, seven to go
Six together

Yesterday I started prepping four patches for the border... there are A LOT of four patches involved in this quilt.  I have had a difficult time focusing this week, and when that happens, the simple stuff feels like too much.  I need to get over that and just enjoy it, otherwise: why bother?  I tend to make things because something about it makes my heart sing.  This will likely be the reason I would never create things to sell.  If I don't like it very much (pattern, fabric, process), then I don't want to spend the time.  However, it changes if I have a person in mind, that changes my focus.  I suppose it's all in the perception.

So people who are very practical would probably ask why do I spend so much time and money on a hobby that I won't sell or make it profitable?  It's more expensive to pay a therapist I'm sure.  I find joy in creating, I find that these talents have helped me in giving to others as well.  Creating took a major backseat with the addition of my youngest son, but little by little I am able to carve in a little more time to create.

Yesterday I was in a bad mood and feeling basically sorry for myself.  Things weren't going my way (yes, I know... it is very pitiful, but it is something we all feel from time to time), the time out I gave myself to organize for the outside border of my Sunflower Gatherings (the quilt above) helped give me that space to snap out of that mood.  Cheap 45mins of therapy right there.

Anyway, whatever it is, find something that will make your heart sing and try to give yourself 30 minutes or more a day doing it.  It makes for a great attitude adjustment time, and those around you may thank you :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so tempted to buy that Shirt that says "I Quilt so I don't Choke People". I remember (not with fondness) those days of being so busy with kids that I didn't get to sew like I do now. I made a LOT of polo shirts and back to school clothes back then. Not to mention Prom dresses. Quilting is so much more fulfilling in the creativity dept.

    ReplyDelete