Friday, August 15, 2014

Old Post 2/16/2013: Folk Art Album

***Note, this is from my first blog which got overtaken by a spam virus, and I ended up shutting it down.  While reading through Feedly (where I read my blogs), I discovered when clicking on my old blog (I never unsubscribed my old blog) I could pull up old posts.  I am thrilled because now I can place certain posts here and save them.  I will have this note on top of any post that is from my old blog****
_________________________________________________________
**update: this top is a finished quilt, but this was a favorite post regarding this quilt so I wanted to make sure I posted this here**
and now I have to consider what the quilting will look like. I won’t quilt over the embroidery, which leaves me with thinking about handquilting because there is more control with that. But hand quilting through flannel (backing is also a brushed cotton) might not be the best idea in the world.
Folk Art Album--Finished Top!
Clicking through the photos will take you to my Folk Art Album where other pictures are posted (and you can view larger sizes).
I love it. I can’t wait until it is hanging up in our living room. I strayed from the pattern only slightly. The poppies had one change, and I am glad I had enough red/orange wool to be able to add the extra bit for the front part of the poppy flowers:
Folk Art Album--border detail
More border details:
Folk Art Album--border detail
I wish I had made my coneflowers in the block more like the six I did in the border:
Folk Art Album--border detail
and a top corner:
Folk Art Album--border detail
I am going to leave this top up on my wall for a little bit and decide if I want to add any other embroidery details. I am still thinking about my initials on the bottom, I thought about adding my full name on each letter (so on the M it would read Melissa, the L Lee, D Devin), and also adding a date on the D. Still thinking on it.
The Valdani perle threads and hand dyed wools really make this top shine! The variations in colors give it a lot of depth.
Interested in this project? This is where I purchased my kit in 2009, and it still available.You’re welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment