Friday, August 22, 2014

Fair Results

I am humbled.  I can't even begin to tell you how much.  Yesterday when I looked up the results for The Evergreen State Fair (Monroe, WA), I saw that I was a "Class Winner".  Being completely new to entering anything in a fair, I didn't know what that meant.  A friend explained to me that it meant I was a "Best In Class" winner!  Wow! Really??? Even in all my errors that I know to exist in my Jane?  After the major tuck in the back that I hand sewed down (and really, you can't even tell there is one at all now)?  The backing that is made of scraps and my "map" to the fabrics I wanted to use for the blocks?

Kevin came home from work in the late afternoon today and we decided to go ahead and go.  We went to the quilt/sewing barn first (after parking a million miles away and checking out the horses).  After initially not finding my Jane hanging, we started to walk back to the entrance again and look.

I found her.
Jane's Swag
Over the moon is the only thing I can say.  Three ribbons!!  Here is the explanation for the pink/white:
Creative Ribbon

Jane and I.  She was three rows from the entrance, but facing the opposite way.
Jane and I

Here is a link to my finished Jane quilt album (there are also some process and block pictures as well).

And a few fair pics...

Unusual chicken:
odd

You will probably need to click through, but what would you guess on this one? Chicken or rabbit?  These were interesting too!
Chicken or rabbit? :)

Free rides
Something free to do at the fair?

I wonder if they are buddies? The silver cow was sleeping, but I just can't see how that was even comfortable.
I totally understand!

Before we went into the goat barn, Darrin told me goats eat anything.  'Tis true... even blue ribbons!
Darrin told me goats will eat anything... including blue ribbons!

I want one! Spot would be great for the blackberry bushes next door :)
I want one!

This photo makes me laugh:
Fair brothers

That's my fair report.  Again, I am so happy that quilty friends urged me to go for it and enter when I got a wild hair and asked if I should.  It was beyond my expectations.  Maybe I will finish my Orca Bay for next year?

2 comments:

  1. Girl...you should not have been surprised! That is such an awesome quilt...of course it'd win! We are our own worst critics, aren't we? I am a broken record of a quilt teacher...always telling my students to stop criticizing their work and themselves. You are amazing, Melissa Devin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! I was definitely surprised though... you just never know if maybe there have been many Janes to be entered (maybe Jane'd out?) or if my 14yrs of imperfect piecing took it's toll... either way, I am glad I entered it if just to show it.

      Maybe I should change my "criticizing" to just having a "critical eye"--during the process (choosing fabrics, that sort of stuff)? Now that she's done, I will just say Jane is glorious! :)

      Delete