Sunday, April 27, 2014

Finished Quilt: Mod Olives for Alora

I am happy to be able to finally publicly post about my latest finish, a baby quilt!  And I am more excited that April 28th will be my granddaughter, Alora May Devin's birthday!  Tomorrow!!  Kevin is delivering the quilt today.  They live in Nevada and as luck has it, Kevin was already traveling on business for this week--I wish I could have swung bringing me and the boys down too, but we'll come down soon.

I admit that when I first read about the Quilt A Long for Mod Olives, I wasn't too excited about it and hadn't planned to make it.  However, that changed when I saw the quilting that Jenny did--it was gorgeous and I believe the quilting REALLY made this pattern great.  Not the greatest photo, but here goes:

Mod Olives: Finished Baby Quilt

A few detail pics.  I really enjoyed quilting this one:
Mod Olives: Detail

Mod Olives: Detail

Mod Olives: Detail

The backing is a pink flannel chevron print.  Soft and cozy.

The quilt above was made using a second set of blocks.  I wasn't happy with how I wasn't able to square them up very well, so I decided to try again and added a half inch to the cutting directions for the black and black/white prints.  That was all it took to get them pretty close to perfect.

Because I had my first set of blocks still, I decided to put those into an alternate pattern.  Excuse the iPhone picture:
Mod Olives: Alternate layout, quilt 2

I think I like the layout on the alternate quilt top above the best, but the reason I decided to go with the circular (olive) layout for the baby quilt was because I already had the quilting design in my mind.  I am not sure how this second one will go, but I really like the design  I found that this layout was great and the imperfections aren't glaring at me.

And this breaks a blogging hiatus!  I wish I could also report a UFO finish, but I keep adding new projects to do for 2014 instead.

5 comments:

  1. The New FO's are fun to watch happen in your Quilting Zone too. New Grand Baby's deserve to have their own made special. I like your quilting designs that you did. I like the bonus block layout too. I have some trimming down of blocks to do on a Curvy project. Hoping for a Surprise Gifting in MAY! Watch for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo Mary! I can't wait to see the blog about that one. What pattern is it?

      Delete
  2. Wow - I really like your version. Great color choices, and beautiful quilting! SallyH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good. Your quilting is wonderful.....you're so good at that on your home machine!

    ReplyDelete