Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Apparel Sewing

I am having fun using my serger and trying out different clothing patterns.  I love just about anything from Patterns for Pirates or Made for Mermaids, and there are a few from craftsy that I have purchased but haven't tried yet.  This morning after reading about Judy D's new overlock machine, and then following over Judy L's page (this was the post that made me purchase the following pattern...), I decided to take the plunge and buy the Laundry Day Tee.  As you can see by all the links, there is a lot of enabling going on--even if Judy L didn't know it :) If I were being honest, I would say that Judy D is the reason I decided to get back into sewing clothing again (and being tired of being disappointed with retail fit not fitting right--along with short-short sleeves).

Over the last month I have sewn up several Mama Blair tops, three SOS knit pants (trying to get the fit I want with the straight leg version) and now a Laundry Day Tee.  I have purchased several tee patterns from PFP, but haven't made them up yet.  I hesitated buying the laundry day one because they seem so similar.
Laundry Day Tee
My response??  I LOVE this top!  I started off with tunic length, but that doesn't look good for my body (maybe when I am skinny).  After sewing it up, I cut it down to the shirt length--which is what I am used to in a "tunic" size (that can be so subjective).  It was a quick and easy sew, from point of purchase to being finished, it only took me about 2-3 hours at the most.

Our upstairs has the only full length mirror.  I really need to clean it!  With two boys at home, who knows what's on it!

Laundry Day Tee
The fabric from fabric.com's site without the yellowness that our upstairs has.  The fabric is called Bolt By Girl Charlee Pure Vintage jersey knit feathers, it's a nice cotton jersey.

Over the next couple of weeks I need to go through my closet and do an honest purge.  Some things I am not going to fit into and others I won't want to wear if I did fit back into them.  I believe I have had a fear of not having clothes for if I did lose weight, so I hold on to them.  It's time to let go and be happy I can achieve good fits on my own (now if Kohls would have boot cut yoga pants from Sonoma back on their racks, I would buy many pairs... I love that fit).



7 comments:

  1. Nice shirt! I like sewing on the knits. I haven't made any clothes lately. I've seen the enabling going on with the Judy's! lol I am trying to NOT start anything else NEW!. Resisting this enabler alert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. knitpop ships super fast :)))) and the Laundry Day Shirt is only $5 right now :))))

      Delete
  2. You look marvelous dahling! Cute print, I am going to go find it and get myself some. So who's enabling who? I kinda like being on this side of the enabling. LOL This has been sew much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! It's kind of a mutual enabling, but I still blame you :)
      Thanks Judy!

      Delete
  3. Oh Mary, don't be scared, join the party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy D. is responsible for getting me interested in sewing clothes again too. Love your shirt! I'm not incriminating myself but that same fabric (maybe a different color though) arrived in my mail box today. I'll have to check out SOS Pants. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cute print, I'll be checking your blog to see what you whip up with it :) I also bought the deer head knit fabric (can't remember the designer at the moment) that is on the fabric.com site... I am now seeing it everywhere, but mostly on kids. Maybe my tastes need refinement for my age! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete