Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Finish: Allietare

Last night I finished the binding of Allietare and tossed it in the wash (after writing on the label of course).  Why is it that some quilts just seem to never end, but others are so much easier to work on mentally?  Very odd thing if you ask me... The binding for Allietare was finished much quicker than Field Day took, for example (and that one was smaller).
Finish: Allietare

The finish looks much like the top finish, but you can see a bit of the quilting spiral.

An interesting thing: this particular fabric with printing of fabric companies and designers seemed to become a "color catcher".  That makes me wonder if there may have been a polyester in it (which I don't know why there would be).  But there is no red beyond the seams of these pieces of this particular fabric.  Very strange, but oh well, I'm not worried about it. I was showing it to Kevin last night and he said it would be a "where's Waldo" of the quilt (since it is scrappy) :)
Finish: Allietare

Finish: Allietare

Finish: Allietare

The backing is flannel and a deep maroon-to-cranberry red.  The picture doesn't capture that, but I uploaded to show more of the quilting.  I need to go back over with a lint brush... flannel is very sticky with any loose hairs or fluff!
Finish: Allietare

Now I don't have anymore tops that are basted and ready for quilting yet, I need to pull something out of my bin to work on next--maybe the bitty blocks top from last year?

6 comments:

  1. Yay on the finish! It's awesome! Do you use a Shout Color Catcher when you wash your quilts? I am fanatical about that, terrified of bleeding! I even give a box of them when I gift a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a box of them, and didn't even pull out one out. I'll do it next time.

      Delete
  2. Did the backing get pre-washed? I'm thinking that is what did the bleeding. It look very nice! Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No, I didn't wash it but I likely should have. I found it odd that it only "caught" on that one particular fabric. It doesn't look bad or way out of place, but I noticed it. I'll use a shout color catcher in the next wash cycle.

      Delete
  3. Did the backing get pre-washed? I'm thinking that is what did the bleeding. It look very nice! Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Mel. Sorry about the bleeding. I am fanatical about Color Catchers. 2 or 3 go in with the first washing. Then 1 each time for the next 2 or 3 times. just to be sure. I am inspired to get mine finished.

    ReplyDelete