Sunday, March 6, 2016

Splendid Sampler

 I was looking for a block of the month to work on this year, and this is the one that grabbed me, Splendid Sampler. I love doing block of the month/week projects with a group because it can be so inspiring and it helps to keep it fun and fresh as the year progresses.

I knew I wanted to do soft colors for this one since I am on overload with brights.  Even as my go-to favorites, I need to take a break now and again. I chose to pull out some fat quarters that I bought a long time ago--Robyn Pandolph's Folk Art Christmas (I think the first grouping of this title. I believe she had a few different Folk Art Christmas lines). That will be my base for the 100 blocks, but if I find other fabrics that would work well, I will add those too.  The fabrics are a brushed cotton, and I also added a creamy yellow flannel to use as the background when needed. So far, I love it. I know I will be sick of the fabrics in time, but for now it's my happy place.

A start

Today I did the first, second and seventh blocks. I pieced together what needed it, and then did some needle turn applique for blocks 1 and 7, and embroidery with my Valdani thread for 7.

Hearts aflutter

ugh... I'm obviously too lazy to make sure there were no stray threads before pictures. I am definitely too lazy to take another round of pictures! :)

For the pieced and appliqued quilt in block 7, I pieced together some scraps of 1.5" into a nine patch and then tilted it a bit to fit the pattern.  It helped to add a little whimsy that the original line drawing for the embroidery has.
Snug as a Bug

I played around with the layout for block 2, and I like it. If I had a blue on hand, would have added that so it would have been more scrappy.
Wings

I don't plan to post every time I finish a block, but perhaps I will do a weekly update on the progress.  I have four more blocks to make to be caught up, and then the newest will be out on Thursday (two blocks each week).   I already have my ArtBin case all prepared for this project :)  This is officially my first project of 2016!

7 comments:

  1. It's going to be beautiful! You did a great job on these first blocks...can't wait to see your progress as the year goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I just love the little blocks--even when the "A" word comes up as a technique. At least they are little!

      Delete
  2. Good for you. This was supposed to be the year of UFOs and I already have three projects in the works; two of them are just piles of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny :) I have been trying to finish up my UFO's as well this year and I didn't really find a new project for this year that hit me... until I saw this one. Hopefully I stay current :)

      Delete
  3. Great blocks! I still don't have the time to do any such thing. I am WAY behind on everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. My goal of finishing 5 UFOs plus one more by mid March is not going to happen... but at least I got halfway through those. If I can stay at least at 1 ufo finish a month, I will be happy. I'm glad I finally found a new project for this year (I'm surprised it took this long!)

      Delete
  4. I'm watching from the sidelines. I chose Pat's Secret Garden and Circa 2016 for my new starts this year. I had 3 finishes last week. 2 were old UFO'S. I love the finishes more than the starts. You tempt me with Robyn Pandolph, lol.

    ReplyDelete