Monday, March 14, 2016

Splendid Sampler and Evergreen State

Time for some slow stitching.  I worked on my Splendid Sampler blocks this weekend: Friends Around the Square and Local Quilt Shop.  I'm pleased with how they both came out.  I cropped the quilt shop to a "finished" size because I like that look better with house-type blocks :)
9 local quiltshop

Friends around the square turned out much better than what I expected.  I really wasn't sure how the fabrics would come together, but they did.
8 friends around the square

Nine together:
Nine

I am also working on Pacific Fabric's block of the month from last year.  I have some fabrics that went with the quilt, but I don't have all that I need so I will be pulling from my stash.  I was so happy to find that they are selling it now!  When I inquired last spring, all the spots were taken.  I went to the Quilters Anonymous show in Monroe, WA this past Friday and there it was in Pacific Fabric's booth!  Yahoo!
Evergreen State

I finished the dragonfly block last night, and then I trimmed the panels to the needed size and added the borders to the large state panel.  Right now I am working on the mountain range that's behind the tulip field.  I was getting very confused on the various colors, but I think I have it now.  I am going to wait to sew tomorrow when my brain is fresh again.  The cutting for it is like bargello.  I have the three sections all prepped, but cutting should be interesting.
Evergreen State

Poof.... that was what I had written yesterday afternoon!

And then in the middle of my blog post that I was writing, the power went out!  It was out for about 21 hours, not too bad but bad enough that our generator kept having issues and we went out and bought a new one this morning.  We will get whatever needs to be fixed on the old one and see if one of our friends would be interested in it.  But last night I did some hexagon sewing.  I have 1/3 of row three complete and all the grey pieces sewn together.

Power Outage
I really like my new camera! I had my headlamp on and no flash used. You can see the dog laying down by the lego quilt, and smudge of a head of the cat by my feet :) It was an exciting night, but it got cold! I'm glad we have our gas fireplace, but the heat just doesn't move around like with our new furnace.

Happy Monday!

7 comments:

  1. Great job on the Splendid Sampler blocks! That is so cool you got the Washington BOM pattern! I know you liked it before. 21 hours without power isn't bad??? I would be freaked out! We have never lost power for that long and we live in the boonies! We also don't have a generator hooked up either, although there is one on the farm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, considering a couple of Novembers ago when it was days... 21 hrs isn't too bad :) There are still areas here without power. For that BOM: You should have heard the giddy inner scream I let out when I saw it in their booth! LOL!! I only saw two on their rack, no clue if they had more but i grabbed it and wasn't letting go :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you found it. Sorry about the power outage. Good thing you had hexies to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was happy to have my hand project just waiting for me :) my eyes were so tired though, but at least the light was bright and I kept going for as long as I could take it. I'm very happy and appreciative for electricity :) My check-in with the semi-pioneer days is complete (hopefully for a long while!).

      Delete
  3. Glad you found it. Sorry about the power outage. Good thing you had hexies to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Splendid Sampler blocks look great! I love that the different color ways will make such different quilts with the same blocks.
    The WA Sampler is going to be great!
    The advantage of no power is great progress with your hexies. I bet you were looking good with your head lamp on and your quilt in your lap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so funny Judy :) I almost thought about a selfie, but then I regained my senses! LOL!

      Delete