Saturday, February 20, 2016

Millennial Quilt Top

I finally put together the 2000 squares that were to become my Y2k aka Millennial Quilt.  In 1998/99, many swaps were going on in various email and BB groups to trade fabrics to create a Y2K quilt.  I think I participated in one or two, but the majority of my fabrics came from my stash, my mom's fabrics, and a couple of manufacturers that started putting together charm packs of fabric lines.  Mr B's from Benartex was one that I liked.  Those fabrics were 2" square, so I decided in order to be able to use those fabrics that my squares would be 2".  So my Y2k quilt has 2000 1.5" finished squares.  Because I chose this size, I didn't do too many swaps since the majority were at least 2.5" swapped squares.  Each fabric is a different fabric.  Some have the same design but different colorways.

Y2K Quilt

Right now the quilt is approximately 60x75".  I am planning to add a plain border around all those seams, probably about 3-6" in size.  It was hard taking a picture with my phone (I broke my regular camera!), so just know there are 8 columns of squares on both sides of the 2000.  It is centered--my picture taking skills are not!

Y2K Quilt
Though many of the fabrics aren't the best quality, it was fun to remember some of them as fabrics that were in my mom's stash or others that were inherited from when we moved my grandmother to her assisted living home.  The blue stripe fabric came from Mom, she used that fabric to make me a blouse when I was a teenager!

Adding the 2000 was a last minute thing.  I was nearly halfway through sewing the top when I had an "I wonder if this would work" moment.  If I was planning better, I wouldn't have used the light fabrics all the way to the edges of those 9 rows.  I think it would have been better if it was more of an oval vignette to showcase the year.  But it doesn't bother me enough to remove the fabrics, so it stays.

Y2K Quilt

So next time I post about this quilt, hopefully it will be when it's ready to put in the "DONE" pile :)  When I explained to Kevin why this was a Y2K quilt (both for the year 2000, but also for the 2000 fabrics), his response was... "so we do have a quilt shop in this house?".  No comment!

8 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only person still working on this! I swapped for mine and that's how I got involved in the online quilting world and met you! I pulled my box out and started sewing up more blocks of 25 about a month ago. I love how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great project for just mindless sewing when you don't know what to sew. I didn't worry about what fabric was next to what (at least until I decided to add the 2000). That's great that you decided to pull this one out to work on as well... Just keep puttering along :) i'm glad I'm not the only one who still had this one stashed away and undone.

      Delete
  2. Oh Kevin!
    It's fabulous Mel. The addition of 2000 was pretty clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! What is he thinking anyway? :) It's not like I have 2000 "bolts"! LOL!

      Delete
  3. I like the 2000 in there. No disputing what is was made for. Cute fussy cut squares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Mel! I did trades but had no plans to actually make a quilt, because I have been working on a postage stamp quilt since FOREVER! LOL I cut the pieces smaller to add to that pile! I love the 2000!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved swapping y2k charms in order to get all 50 states and as many countries as possible! I'm making stars with mine. Slow, slow, slow but eventually I'll be done. :)
    Good job on this one!

    ReplyDelete