Thursday, February 4, 2016

Hexie Love

If I could put a heartshape in the o of "love", I would :)  Last night the youngest had a birthday party to attend at a trampoline place.  It was a rainy night and it was during rush hour. I decided that instead of dropping off and going back home, that I would just hang out in the "lounge" area and prep some hexies.  I was able to baste a little more than 30 in 2hrs, perfect!  I answered curious questions, and maybe some of those with questions might just give English paper piecing a try.  After I got home last night I pieced together the other half of the second row and today I put it together.
Hexie Love

Just some hexie facts as we go:
1. The even rows will have 86 background hexies in each.
2. The odd rows will have 66 background hexies in each.
3. For now, with just one outside hexie row on each side of the quilt (I might do two rows) the count is 49 hexies in a row.
4. 75 flowers with 19 hexies in each.

Background count: 1,116 (unless I do a second outside row, then add 100 more)
Flower hexie count: 1,425
Total: 2,541
Along with basting (I sew-baste, not glue), it is over 800hrs of piecing, and likely much more.

I am undecided if I want to do another color ring around the whole quilt when I am done, but for now, I am focusing on just putting everything together.
Hexie Love

I'm hoping as the rows go along that I won't mind the large grey areas in the even rows.  I'd hate to have to rip them out, but at least each corner is knotted so I won't have a huge problem of unraveling.

The values are pretty similar, but there are some dark flowers coming up.  I am surprised when checking out the picture in black and white how the pink reads so light.  Oh well.  As I said before I am done with black right now, and I did not want white.  I am ok with the similar values as this quilt has been a project in patience, emotion, love, and family--15+yrs worth of history all wrapped up together.

Happy weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. It's going to be a really pretty original GFG. I like that you are staggering the rows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very pretty project. I really like the varied grays, it adds a lot.

    ReplyDelete