Tuesday, October 6, 2015

A New Finish

I finished up my version of scrappy trips yesterday.  It's all washed up and ready for me to trim some thread tails.... and then on to the new owner it goes!  I am not so great about surprises, so she actually saw this when I was quilting it :)  She was surprised that I was making her a quilt, and loved it.  I plan to leave it at her house this weekend as I will be dog sitting... she doesn't know it's finished.

Scrappy Trips Around the World

I think I already noted that I chose Aloha Girl fabric line from Moda.  My friend is Hawaiian, and this summer they took a family vacation to Honolulu, so I basically already had my theme going regarding the quilt pattern and fabric line.  I chose to quilt a Maile lei around the quilt in the white--though some of my leaves turned out a little fatter than what the Maile is.  Maybe a mix of rhododendron in there? :)  I used a variegated pink to yellow thread throughout.
Scrappy Trips Around the World

I don't know why I have such a hard time with colors in pictures.  Maybe I need to face facts that I might just stink at taking pics!  But it's generally sort of close.  The backing is a magenta pink, but it looks blazing in the pictures--it's not quite that bad.  My original pictures of the quilt top from a couple of months ago are closest to the colors.

Back:
Scrappy Trips Around the World

Front:
Scrappy Trips Around the World

Scrappy Trips Around the World

I finished it with a hand dyed navy binding, it worked great with the darkest blues of the fabric line.  I can't wait for her to see it!  She isn't a blog reader, so I think I am fairly safe that she won't see this... if she does, I know she'll call right away :)

4 comments:

  1. Wish I could see a close-up of the quilting. Nice way to finish it. I like the white space that made the outside a border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. I just did straight line quilting through the squares for the majority of the quilt, and then free motion leaves in the white.

      Delete
  2. It looks awesome Mel! I love your layout and the fabrics are awesome. It looks different than I saw it this summer in pieces! Great quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Spud! I'm glad to be finished, now I feel I can work on other projects without that nagging feeling I needed to finish something :)

      Delete