Thursday, May 29, 2014

Unnamed Project and Life

I am now finished making 28 of one set of blocks, and I plan to put together rows as I finish up the stars.  I had some fun with an iphone filter:

Unnamed project

I have to admit that I do like how it is coming along and I think it will be well received.

Unnamed project
Close up of the fabrics, this is actually very close to reality.

Unnamed project
---This next part is about lifestyle/diet and exercise.  If that isn't an interest, you can stop reading here. just know this is mainly for me to remember at this moment why I am not giving up on myself.

So my life update.  When I started up this blog at blogspot, it was a private one for just me to keep track of my diet and exercise, mixed in with journaling.  When my main blog got taken over by a spaming virus (one that we couldn't get rid of as it had embedded itself into just about every post), I gave up blogging and dropped that blog (we hosted it, so we were the tech support on that issue).  Once I really started to get back into quilting again earlier this year, I decided to open up this blog publicly and hide or delete what I had written in regards to lifestyle.  Let's face it, I had about given up on myself in that regard as it was.

I've had enough.  I just looked back at my CalorieKing calorie/exercise program and found that the only time I input anything there is when my period hits.  Even that is starting to phase out (hello peri-menopause!).  After doing a lot of work in the yard this past weekend and being worn out, I told Kevin that I need to start walking again, and I did.  I am also journaling meals again.  I hate doing that, but I need to do that to stay accountable.  It's very easy to snack all day if I don't.

So another little "feature" is that CalorieKing has a section for measurements.  Uffda.  I am officially back to my highest weight, and I am officially back to my measurements from 12/12/2011.  That's 2.5 years lost in the progress I made.  It's approx 20" altogether regained.  That is not acceptable.  I believe my problem snowballed when I viewed the enormity of the weight I need to lose, mix that in with self-doubt, daily life, emotional sadness, etc, I use food to fill up those areas.  I know so many other people do too so this isn't a huge revelation.

But it's time for me to stop and to break down these goals.  So it's back on the treadmill, it's back to journaling meals, it's back to new responses to all that self-doubt and other daily issues that spring up.  I want to get back to feeling good again physically and I don't want to be chained to junk food in response to depression.  

So what will I do when I am on the downside of this hill (right now I am feeling good about changing direction)?  Drink some water for one, remember small goals, and respond more appropriately (the kids may be acting out, but eating a brownie won't fix that).

I've noticed a few of the diet/exercise bloggers that I enjoy reading have also hit snags in their progress.  It's a part of life, I'm not really sure if there is a person who is able to stay the same ideal (or in my case, ideal-ish) weight all their lives.  So many people struggle with it.  I just wish it didn't take up 90% of the thoughts I have through the day.

Time for some water :)

6 comments:

  1. I like the use of the camera for showing the shades and not just color. Who is the lucky one to get this quilt? Good luck on your goals. I don't have a treadmill and I don't walk much unless the grandkids are home visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camera is such a great tool for quilting! I'm so glad to have digital now (and fun filters). The quilt is going to a couple of happy family members :) I may be quilting this in July at Ratherbees... I can't imagine being finished with it before then!

      The treadmill had a lot of dust on it, but I kind of exchanged walking Darrin to school for getting on it. I was having some foot issues, so I started driving him, and it's gone further downhill since. I need to get more accountable with myself, I don't want health issues.

      Delete
  2. I am so with you in choosing food as my choice of drug. And I know it doesn't cure anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this quilt, and, yeah, I hear you about the lifestyle thing. Now that the weather is good I'm walking a lot more, but my diet? Yeesh. But that's so hard to change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I stumbled onto your blog looking at your Codetalker quilt. I've just moved to Navajo country and am looking at making some Native type quilts as a way of journaling my time here. This quilt is beautiful and would certainly qualify! Is it from a pattern you cud share or is it your own design? I'd love to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Moriah! I first saw the pattern in the Keepsake Quilting catalog, but you can find the pattern here from the designer: http://www.timelesstraditionsquilts.com/NavajoCodeTalkers.html

      Delete