Monday, May 5, 2014

Navajo Code Talkers, finished top

I have finished up the top for the Navajo Code Talker pattern.  I am mixed on it, it isn't my usual choice for fabrics or style, but it does have a comfy feel to it that I think would be great for camping or picnicking, or something to keep in the car/truck, etc.  Though the only thing we ever really do is the camping part--and Kevin gives me grief over me bringing my quilts to sleep with, it is likely to spend most of it's time on the couch for a lap quilt (though on the larger size: 70x86"ish).  I plan to do a flannel backing.

While finishing this up, I was wondering how it would look if I skipped the black sashing:
Navajo Code Talkers

I think it looks better with the sashing.  It needed some dark fabrics in there because it reads heavy on the medium and brown side.  Most of the plaids are reds, the browns really drag it to their side.  After finishing about half of the blocks with the strips, I went back to my stash to find some darker blues to liven it up.  It felt very bland to me.  It still feels bland, but I really think this is a quilt that begs to be used as something to snuggle under--it feels very comforting because of the drab brown plaids and wovens in there.

Navajo Code Talkers

I plan to do an all over pattern for the quilting since I think this top screams to be a utilitarian quilt.  At this point all the 1860's repro styles are out of my system.  Unless of course we are talking about the madder prints, then all bets are off.

6 comments:

  1. Looks Great! I'm sure you will enjoy it. One of your boys just might get attached to it. I like the added sashing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin came in while I was sewing last night and said he really liked it. I'll take that as a good sign :)

      Delete
  2. I like it! I've seen this pattern before and keep wondering how it'd look with a mix of modern fabrics and solids. I do like the comfy feel of yours....perfect for snuggling on a cold night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do it, keep in mind the blocks are 15.5". I think I cut a lot of my strips too small, I think it would have looked better if I had stuck to the 2-3" range, but some finished at 3/4". I think solids would look great.

      Delete
  3. I like it, not my usual combo either, but it looks so cozy. I like it both ways, without sashing it looks more woven, but I like the contrast of the sashing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't seen this until Oklahoma Quiltworks on a trip last month, and I'm shocked it's been around so long. I loved it instantly and bought the pattern to make this summer. Yours looks great. That IS my kind of fabric and combo, so I'm excited to make it. =)

    ReplyDelete