Sunday, January 27, 2019

Spool block aka plus/times/ aka Japanese X and more

IMG_2457

In typical fashion, I had my Plus/Times blocks laid out and ready to be put into the quilt... and then I got confused about which sections I was putting together!  UGH!! I did not notice until it was together, and I am NOT ripping.  The first two blocks of the 2nd and 3rd rows are in the wrong places, and I would MUCH rather had it that way, but I am not completely sold on this version of the block idea so I am going to quilt it up and call it good.  It's all basted and ready to go. I used up the rest of the masterpiece cats fabric for the back, and whoever ends up with this quilt after me when hopefully understand what I was trying to do by seeing the backing fabric.

For the border, I sewed up the strips left of the charm pack without worrying about a standard width.  I kind of like how that turned out.  I have one long and wider string strip leftover for another project.  I plan the bind this quilt in black (which I am now almost out of... time to order a new bolt of Kona!).

IMG_2458

Speaking of backing fabric, fabric.com takes FOREVER to receive.  Every so often I will browse the cheapest sale fabric there and buy yards for backing.  I'd really like to get Madame Rouge and Good Fortune basted for quilting, but the fabric isn't due to arrive until the 31st (I ordered about two weeks ago).  Did you know that amazon.com now owns fabric.com?  This is a fun fact I had only recently learned a few months ago.  I guess it doesn't arrive at Prime timelines :)

Scrappy Trips beginning

Here is a new quilt I am considering as a baby quilt for one of my older son's friends who's expecting.  I am not positive if I am going to like this version of Scrappy Trips around the world, but we'll see.  I only had enough of the green and pink solid to make 16 blocks instead of the 20 that I wanted originally.  I think a square baby quilt would be ok (they are 12" blocks).  But again, we'll see how the fabrics play.  It may end up just becoming a donation quilt, but who knows. I have other fabrics in this collection (Pop Garden by Heather Bailey)  so I might end up liking it.  It kind of reminds me of the 60's right now.


5 comments:

  1. I used to get my Kona from Hancocks. I sure miss that store! Sorry your projects have to wait for slow shipping. I didn't see a boo boo in your X's quilt. Go Mel Go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just the placement. I was wanting to have some of the color corners lining up in some spots, and the one that had different colors on all four corners was suppose to be in the middle. Oh well :) I need to look around for good prices on the kona, it's been a while!

      Delete
  2. Your plus/times quilt is very cute! I don't see mistakes! I do love your new baby quilt so far. I think it's cute! Fabric.com is slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am planning to make more blocks tomorrow. I might add white and yellow center stripes and see how that goes.

      Delete
  3. I was aware that I could pay for my Fabric.com orders through Amazon but was not aware they owned them. I’ve gotten very frustrated with the slowness of their shipping too however they were the only place I’ve been able to find a couple of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete