Monday, January 14, 2019

Good Fortune: Top Finished

I'll be repeating myself, but I love this quilt design.  I will definitely be trying to complete this one to enter into the fair this year.  After I finish quilting, I'll take a better picture on my quilt frame.  There is too much to move to get an unobstructed picture of it in my quilt room.

Good Fortune Mystery: Top Finished

Good Fortune Mystery: Top Finished

Those borders.... The quarter squares were a challenge.  When I put together two sides in the method that Bonnie designed, the blue was too overwhelming to me.  I asked Kevin what he thought (without my prompting on thoughts) and he actually said the same thing.  I planned to do a final string border, so creating the ribbon design made sense.  Now the corners!  I was not happy with how they were lining up and wasn't really sure what to do.  The sides all end in an even number and some ribbon borders I've seen end in odd to get the right effect.  I also had mirror image blocks and I quickly pushed out the notion of creating more so they were all going the same way.

Here is the evolution:

Good Fortune Mystery: Top Finished Good Fortune Mystery: Top Finished Good Fortune Mystery: Top Finished Good Fortune Mystery: Top Finished Good Fortune Mystery: Top Finished Good Fortune Mystery: Top Finished Good Fortune Mystery: Top Finished

What's worse?  After I had the quilt up on my design wall, borders and corners going the right way, I somehow turned a couple over and I had to rip out all four corners (instead of doing the entire border row) and replace them.  AND THEN! I discovered that the corners would not be mirror images on opposite corners, so I needed to rip out a corner yet again to get it right.  I decided to leave one corner with the background so it would be the "end of the ribbon".  It still isn't the perfect effect, but I am happy with it.

Those corners weren't the only pieces being ripped, I also had four patches that needed to be ripped after I read one clue wrong about construction (did way too many, nearly double of the needed 4-patches for the center of that block).   I need to replace my seam ripper however because I think it is getting dull (I'm sure I have a spare or two tucked away).


After the string borders, I still have a pile of strips... it doesn't even look like any were used!  My next project is going to be Hunters String Star and I plan to have the same type of background fabrics so at least I am ready to go for that.  I haven't decided on what color/s  I want to do though.  I can't decide on a single color or multi.  Should be a fun one either way.

I am also still plugging along on my Starlit skies.  I'll blog about that soon.

Link up Monday:
Check out the progress from other Good Fortune Mystery makers here: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2019/01/mystery-monday-link-up-reveal-2.html

6 comments:

  1. The trouble you speak of, keep me from trying to change my final pieced Border. I love the ribbon effect though. Darn ripper. Glad you played along. We should enter our Quilts into the Spokane Quilt Show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love how you made the border... very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your border too. I also like that the piano keys are the last border.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you did with the border. To me it really pops the quilt. Echo Quilter Kathy on the "very inspiring" comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your border. It really adds a lot! You can do it, get it done for the fair! Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful result! Love the ribbons, and the extra border is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete