Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Boy Scouts Eagle Quilt

Yesterday I finally started on an eagle quilt that I have been planning since October (when I found the pattern I wanted to do to mark one son's Eagle rank earned).  He still has a project and two partial merit badges to finish up, so I have time.  I just uploaded one image to Instagram and I came across another with red/white/blue fabrics used, and it looks awesome: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHcmrPkhZsI/?tagged=phillipsfiberarts&hl=en  Had I seen this first, I might have changed my mind on fabrics!

I began with labeling my fabrics. I took a swatch of each then glued and labeled on a card so I wouldn't confuse myself sewing the strips.  The background fabric has the scout oath on it, so as a directional fabric I had to be careful and be sure I was sewing that strip in the same direction.
Eagle

Loving the tail!
Eagle

And this is as far as I finished last night before my son came home from youth group:
Eagle

One more section:
Eagle

And voila! I am finished for today since the schools have early release day today, so it's all covered up and I can now consider how to attach fabric to this circle to make it into a rectangular quilt.
Eagle
I am currently going for a queen sized quilt--or maybe slightly smaller full-size. I have some ideas in mind to add to it as well. One funny thing today, I sent the hubby a picture of the progress and I told him I was considering putting my picture where the eagle's body/head will be appliqued :) It would be a funny photoshop regardless.

3 comments:

  1. You could use Robin Ruth method for putting the Circle in a square. Check out her videos on her Website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look! I was already thinking that I would need to sew two background sections together (it's wider than the width of fabric), then I would basted then applique in place (then cutting away the middle section). But trying to figure out how to get it to be flat... I'll take a peek and see if I'm on the right track :)

      Delete
  2. When I was my son's Eagle quilt my quilting room was in the garage. He walked past me I don't know how many times and was completely oblivious to what I was doing.

    ReplyDelete