Saturday, October 1, 2016

Gwennie Inspired Medallion QAL

It took me a while to do the final round, I think because I am still not totally convinced on the last one (stars).  But here's my process:

Seaweed/kelp and sea glass.  Both remind me of spending my growing up years at the beach.  The Puget Sound is not warm, but as a kid it is a great place to explore.  My grandparents used to have a house that had the backyard right on the beach... and then right around my preteen years they moved 40 minutes away.  The running complaint was that when my cousins and I were old enough to be able to cross the railroad tracks on our own and go to the beach, they moved to Monroe--which at the time (and still to a lesser extent) was a cow town.

Gwennie Inspired Medallion
Gwennie Inspired Medallion

My cousins and I liked to find the long kelp and jump on the heads.  If you lucked out, you found one that was still intact and it would make a pop sound (like bubble wrap, but better).  I'm sure that's not environmentally friendly, but we were kids and it was a fun adventure!

There were a lot of great memories of visiting their house (we lived in the same town, but they obviously had the best house to visit!).  I recall a time when my grandparents and parents were commenting about watching a crazy person being pulled by a parachute behind a boat (this was the pre-fancy parasailing days).... it turns out that it was my brother and his buddies. He always had fun adventures as a teen :) My parents didn't learn about a lot of those adventures until later of course.
Gwennie Inspired Medallion

The kelp was a fun process, as was the sea glass.  Both very Gwen Marston in style, but it isn't working for me.
Gwennie Inspired Medallion

Gwennie Inspired Medallion


Trying it with just the sea glass:

Gwennie Inspired Medallion
BTW, on sea glass... I was talking to the husband about my idea for the quilt and he had no idea what sea glass was.  I guess that's inland living for you.  So I explained the process of what happens to glass when it's being exposed to salt water and rocks/sand, as well as showing him some pictures.  We always seemed to find brown sea glass--likely beer bottles.  Occasionally we'd find some blue--which many could have been old fishing floats, and the clear was another that often found.

I ended up ripping off the kelp (I'll save that for something else), and decided to make more nordic stars.

Gwennie Inspired Medallion

My challenge is that the taupe fabrics came in a fat quarter pack and I am running out so I am getting creative in what I am putting together.  My yellow was a fat quarter from something else, and I am now totally out of that.  Fortunately I found another yellow in my Cherrywood Fabric stash, but the sea glass round has different yellows which works great.   With the stars it is about 29" square, and then the round with the sea glass, it is about 37"square.

To end the quilt, I am planning to do some embroidered flowers (or maybe some sort of pie variety writing? hmmmmm..... maybe some forks!) and then perhaps a round of red before the final taupe.  This was out of my comfort zone to make this quilt, it's not exactly my style, but I enjoyed the process. I have to admit, I unexpectedly like this top so far. I think the change I made between the last round and the sea round helped.

Linking up here for the final round of this QAL: http://humblequilts.blogspot.com/2016/10/gwennie-inspired-medallion-finale.html

17 comments:

  1. Great Stories to go with your Gwennie inspired Quilt. I like the sea glass better than the Kelp too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love yours so much!!! I gave up. I wasn't having any fun. I may come back to it when I'm less stressed out. In the mean time, I'll be inspired by yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the seaglass.. and an ingenious interpretation. Wish I thought of that!! Love the way it looks on your quilt and the stories behind your creative process. Also, love finding seaglass along the beach.. a treasure for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the process takes a bit longer than other times. Suddenly everything will click into place. Continue to have fun is what is important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, those Nordic Stars were such a strong, eye-catching statement, that it is much better and more balanced to carry them right around the border. I think that was the main issue. I love the sea glass! What a great idea. It sounds like you are planning a lot more, but it would be a lovely wall quilt too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever interpretation of the fish theme. A wonderful quilt, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great story with this border. I do love the final choice of the seaglass, but I truly adore the kelp border too! I really look forward to seeing what you do with it as it is truly unique. And so Gwennie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I was going to have a challenge with running out of specific prints too. But one of the elements of liberated is using what you've got! I think you've made some good decisions in resolving the issues you were facing. I hope you'll continue to work on this, not let it fall into the UFO bin. It needs to be finished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sea glass interpretation of the final round. Got to admit I love your kelp too (never would have thought of that!). ooh, embroidery next?!? Continue working out of your comfort zone, it looks like a lot of fun! thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if people want a Gwen-inspired quilt to be charming (and if not, I'm sorry) but I find this quilt absolutely charming. Those stars -- the plaid-like fabric with yellow and white -- are wonderful. And your sea glass border is a great finish. I like how they pull in colors from your 3/4 circles in the center. I hope you'll post your progress on this quilt.
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your interpretation of the final round. Your quilt is beautiful. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. There aren't a lot of interesting shells on Washington beaches, so I always look for sea glass. I think this is one of the most interesting interpretations of the fishy prompt and I love the way it turned out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very beautiful memories for this quilt. I love the sea glass :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sea glass idea is so clever and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love finding sea glass and your border is a perfect reminder of it! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have depicted sea glass so beautifully! Good idea to add more stars. What a great medallion in such beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very very beautiful, love your idea.

    ReplyDelete