Monday, August 8, 2016

New Stitch Along and Tool

Did you see Lisa Bongean's post The Magic of Christmas Stitch Along?  As if I needed to add another project, but hey... I've added another project!  Instead of the colors Lisa is suggesting, I am going with my yellow and using some fabrics from her Snowman Gatherings line.  We'll see how this one ends up!
The Magic Of Christmas

On the secret facebook page for the Clara's Stars and Among Friends Summer Block of the Week there was discussion about getting seams flat (mostly for the Among Friends people since the pieces are so tiny).  A member mentioned she tried out her tailor's clapper and it got the seams just right.  I had to look it up, but when I saw the prices of a block of wood... I just couldn't do it.

After some research, I came across a couple of DIY's along with discussion about the type of wood to use.  I asked Kevin if he thought he could do this for me, along with wondering if we could use the kids building blocks that are unused.  I am pretty sure those are hardwood and not pine.  Instead of that, Kevin decided to try out oak tongue/groove flooring that's been in the garage for probably 40+ years (it's been here since my grandparents lived here, who knows when they bought it... we've lived here for 19yrs).  He glued to pieces together and then did a length and width that I wanted.  The best thing... we have a ton of flooring left, so if I want a longer or wider one it would be simple to construct.  $19-29 saved (depending on where you buy).

Top with sanded/rounded edges:
Tailor's Clapper

Bottom:
Tailor's Clapper

The magic of the hardwood is that it pulls out the moisture from a steamed press and it leaves it crisp and flattened.  Softer wood or wood that isn't older may pull out any pitch or oils and discolor or fabric (so I've read).

I gave it a try with my latest block for Lisa Bongean's new QAL, and it really does help the seams flatten even more.  I can't imagine doing this for every quilt piece and block, but this will definitely be handy for smaller quilts especially.  I used it to flatten the star centers for my Clara's Stars that I have together, and they do look good.  I can't seem to figure out which way to twirl them... before I sew the halves together, they look good.  After?  That's a different story :)

5 comments:

  1. Interesting on the clapper. I have one and I haven't used it in years. I must find it. It's with all those things like a sleeve board and pressing ham! LOL Nice job Kevin making it! I think you sucked me in on the Sew Along. I found a pieced of purple and blue Christmas fabric that will be my main fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yah :) I wasn't sure if I was going to do the SAL or not, but I decided to go for it.

      I had never even heard of a clapper before, I feel archaic using it but it does work. But again, I don't see me using it often--but on some seams I think it will be an asset.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, I will be resistant to another Sew Along. I'm getting ready for the Fair and Classes at the LQS. Samples and exibits will be on my list for the next month at least. Hacve fun withyour Clapper. Good the have a Handyman around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, I will be resistant to another Sew Along. I'm getting ready for the Fair and Classes at the LQS. Samples and exibits will be on my list for the next month at least. Hacve fun withyour Clapper. Good the have a Handyman around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of a clapper before....interesting.
    Will be fun to see the blocks in this sew along. I'm trying to keep my "mojo" up for the Splendid Sampler. Halfway done and I'm bored. Story of my life! :)

    ReplyDelete