Monday, August 1, 2016

Gwennie Inspired Medallion QAL

When it was stated that the next round is about log cabins, I had an idea in mind to bring my basket on point.  I finally worked on it this past week,and I do like how it turned out.  Along the first round with my "Grandma's pies", I have an idea in mind for embroidery as well, I will likely work on that later on.

For the latest round, I dug into my bin of strips and found several different fabrics that I felt worked well with what I have started.  From the pile, I decided to just stick with red and brown strips of various widths.  I also picked out a coordinating background fabric and cut three different strip widths.  And the center of the log cabins is the yellow from my basket block.
Gwennie Inspired QAL Round2

I created two log cabin blocks which ended up being close to 15", cut them on the diagonal, and then I laid it out to see how it looked.....
Gwennie Inspired QAL Round2

Originally I ended my log cabin blocks in the background fabric, but when I put it altogether I didn't like how the outside brown fabrics didn't line up on the outside.  I am fine with the variety of widths, but I wanted a more clean look.  I trimmed up the block to a 1/4" from the basket points and added four border strips.

Gwennie Inspired QAL Round2

Maybe it's not as "free" as what so many of Marston's quilts are, but this is more me.  And I didn't worry about the strip widths, so there is that :)  Looking through many of the finished 2nd rounds so far, mine is pretty subdued.  There are a lot of fun ideas that others have done.  Take a look at the link up.

Linking up here:  http://humblequilts.blogspot.com/2016/08/gwennie-inspired-medallion-qal-part-3.html
The next theme is..... Stars!

13 comments:

  1. What a unique solution. It looks like you planned this entire thing right from the beginning. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Your center is controlled, but the uneven borders start to give it a whimsical look. It nearly begs for wonky stars of some sort next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! I'm popping around to see what others have done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your quilt so far! The colors against that taupy background. It's so balanced - so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The taupe print fabric works well in this round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your different widths of strips, it is whimsical and the fabrics are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very original top and wonderful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you interpreted the theme. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's great. What makes it Gwennie inspired, is that it is all YOU and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You express who you are, that is important! This medallion is very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how your quilt looks now. Your idea for the log cabin border was perfect (in my opinion, at least). I also love the colors you're using for this quilt. It's beautiful!
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just LOVE your on-point version!!! Can't wait to see what you have in mind for the stars in the next round!!!

    ReplyDelete