Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Bordered Diamonds Border

Bordered Diamonds

So now the question becomes... do I want this to become a bedsized quilt or do I make it as is for a twin or comfort quilt?  I'd love for this to become a queen sized quilt, but that would mean adding 20" to the width (it's currently 62x84).  So that's the conundrum. I could very easily use more of the left over fabrics and make a piano key border, but I'm not sure that would work with this quilt.

Bordered Diamonds
Anyway... I went for a third option in regards to setting the flying geese.  This way works much better with the leftover 2" that I needed to work with.  I am left with two corners having just one flying geese block instead of the two, but it looks fine this way.  I would have had to do some funky figuring with the other options.  I now have 6 flying geese borders that I can use in another quilt (I made a lot of flying geese, and I still have a lot of single blocks leftover).  I could play around with those for additional borders.  We'll see.  I'll stare at the top for a day or so and see if anything strikes me--or if I decide to leave it as is and quilt it up.

Bordered Diamonds

On to irons:
After hoping it was just a fluke that my Rowenta with 400 steam holes and awesome steam blasts decided that it was meant to be a waterfall out the back and totally drench my ironing table and projects more times than I can count.... I did an iron survey of what others thought. I really wasn't wanting to go beyond $50 this time. I've never used a Shark before, so I am giving it a try. I wanted an iron that was at least 1700 watts, and the one I bought today is at 1800. I just got/bought it today, so this marks day 1. We'll see if the Shark (Ultimate Professional Iron GI505) outlives my Rowenta DW5197 that I ordered on August 16,2015 (yes, I am getting very specific on dates... Rowenta should be better than this!). I really like the form of Rowenta, but if function isn't working, than your product is junk. Form Follows Function. But knowing how companies make appliances today, they aren't built to last. They want people to buy again before 5yrs. This is very frustrating.

Shark

I will likely hold on to the Rowenta since it still heats up well, but if the Shark lives beyond a year, it'll be going bye-bye.

4 comments:

  1. I have been out of the loop lately, too much going on. I love your top, it's awesome! Irons, YUCK!!!! I have BAD luck with them. My most recent purchase was a Shark and so far so good, but it's making a hissing sound. NOTHING has worked for me and longevity but I haven't tried the really expensive irons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that right off the bat. Do you think that hissing sound is from the anti-drip feature? That's funny you also just bought a Shark. Irons frustrate me, for how long they don't last.

      Delete
  2. That will be a nice cuddle quilt. It won't take as long to quilt either. K see your reasoning for 1 more border. It does need something. Hope the Shark lasts a lot longer than your Rowenta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still mixed on adding one or not. I may end up just leaving it as is and sending it off as a comfort quilt gift. I really want a Kaffe quilt, but I think it has another home calling... Sometimes the quilts just speak after being made

      Delete