Thursday, June 30, 2016

Gwennie Inspired Medallion: Childhood

So many different thoughts went into what I could use for this round.  I decided to go with Grandma's pies.  Some of her pies were tasty flops (like some pieces in my round as you'll see!), but regardless, every Sunday was spent at my grandparent's house with my aunts, uncles, and cousins, and it is one of my more favorite memories.  As the cousins and I got older, we would typically groan at having to "sacrifice" a weekend day away from friends, but I am glad to have those memories.

My favorite pie that Grandma made was pecan.  Unfortunately I am the only one in MY house that likes that kind of pie, so I have to really consider it before I make it for a holiday (there are about a million calories in each slice!).

I couldn't decide which way to arrange it:
Gwennie Inspired Medallion: Childhood

Gwennie Inspired Medallion: Childhood

I actually had something totally different made with some other fabric scraps (with the same idea of "pie"), but in the end I did not like how it turned out so I ripped it off and went back to the drawing board.  I think it might have been fine if I had chosen different fabrics.

Gwennie Inspired Medallion: Childhood

I may decide to do some applique or embroidery, but I'll decide that after the next round.  It's 12" now, so I may need to put the corners on it soon before it gets too big.  We'll see :)

If I wanted to really be exact with my drunkards path blocks, I would have made a line down the center of my template to line up with the half square triangles that I cut into--but I went with just guessing, and I am ok with that for this quilt.

Quilt Room Kitty
And here is my quilt room kitty, aka The Quilt Inspector.  When he isn't attacking my design wall (thank goodness I'm not using foam panels!), he is usually curled up in this spot so he can watch what I'm up to.

Linking up: http://wabisabiquilts.blogspot.com/2016/07/childhood-border-link-up-gwennie.html

Adding, next month's theme: Log Cabins.  I already have some ideas brewing!

21 comments:

  1. Love your PIE border. I have to just stand by and watch. My rows are calling me. Winner's are coming fast this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night I was wondering if other winners had come forward (I don't always see them posted). I might work on that today after dropping Daniel off at staff week for camp in a few minutes.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome memory of the pies and great addition to your center. BTW, I LOVE pecan pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah! I might have to make one for the next time we get together, then I can share in those millions of calories and we can take a walk afterwards :)

      Delete
    2. For sure. I think we need more than one walk to walk off the calories though!

      Delete
    3. For sure. I think we need more than one walk to walk off the calories though!

      Delete
  3. It 's difficult to choose without knowing the next round...I love your basket..
    Véronique

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I love your slices of pies (pecan is one of my many favorites too). In this case I think free cutting the wedges was the right way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliments... another thought about the free cutting for pies: sometimes people want a sliver (or large slice!) of a couple of different kinds :) I think that idea could translate here too!

      Delete
  5. Lovely border and I think it is so appropriate to have guessed and improvised somewhat. Pies are homey and imprecise! By the way, I love the swirly background on your basket center.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your border. Great job. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a unique interpretation. It's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interpretation! Love those pies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great inspiration for your second round! I love pecan pie, million calories and all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun memory to use for this round, Melissa. It's interesting how friends are so important when we're teens friends and as adults, we realize how important family is and are grateful for the memories created when we were younger.

    I love your pies. I liked your first layout better but I think your second layout enhances your basket.

    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you are so right about what we feel is important as teens and then as adults. I had a hard time deciding which way to go, but I have an idea already for the next round and I think that this layout is going to work great with it. But.... I will admit that I am not beneath removing it and changing it around again! LOL!

      Delete
  11. What an interesting interpretation of the "Childhood" round.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great memories of pie! I think your border is great, and wonky is good because we're supposed to be "liberated" here. I think Gwen would approve.

    I love pecan pie too, but that's not one I make. Nor is my other favorite Lemon Meringue. Just too dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love it!!! I really really want some pie right now....Lemon Meringue pie! I'm excited about the next round.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the block and the story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love it! The pies are a great representation. Mine, too, is on-point and I am also debating when to go ahead and add the corners. Still deciding on my round 3 log cabin idea...

    ReplyDelete