Saturday, May 14, 2016

Splendid Sampler Catching up...

My catch-up of Splendid Sampler blocks:

16 Pieces of Friendship 17 Family Stars
16 and 17.  I really loved the Family Stars block.

19 Linas Gift 19 Measure Twice
18 and 19: I still need to embroider the measuring tape block.

20 Natures Walk 21 Sweet Candy
20 and 21: As much as I dreaded 20, I loved doing it.  I tried using Sulky Solvy for the first time.  It was a great product, but I missed catching the fabric in a few spots.  There is a learning curve, but I will use it again.

22 Goose on the Loose 23 Hand in Hand
22 and 23: Goose on the Loose was fun.  I got frustrated with 23 unfortunately.

24 Inspector Sidekick
24: Ok, I will explain now why the last two were frustrating... Because I failed to read the part in the directions about TRIMMING DOWN the half square triangles. I kind of wish that instructions were set for the size and not an add-on trim down size, but that's just me. In an attempt to save on seams (because I am afraid I am going to run out of my fabrics) I calculated what size flying geese I would need. But I failed to account for the "trim down to" part. For block 23 I lost the majority of the tiny triangles that point into the center because I did not "trim down" my initial HST. And then for 24, I had to take it apart and resew because the block ended up at 7.5"... yes, I needed to "trim down to...". I'm kind of glad the next three are templates and applique.  And for the rest to follow, I need to make sure I read all the instructions before I cut and sew.

7 comments:

  1. Very cool on getting so much done! Wow! I saw the new block, it's cute! I'm glad I didn't start this, I haven't had time to sew any of the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's nice to finally feel like sewing again :) Today's is another applique sewing machine. I may work on that one before the other two.

      Delete
  2. I've been saving the Block Patterns. Maybe that will be my Retreat Project. Counting the days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go in search of some more flannel or brushed cotton fabrics. I'm not so sure I have enough for all 100 blocks :) Some of the blocks are fun, but right now I am really glad I chose not to do the one block a day sew along.

      Delete
  3. It's not just you. I think "trimming down" is a giant waste of my time and fabric. What is so hard about cutting accurately in the first place? This has tripped me up on a couple of blocks as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm glad it isn't just me. I lost too many points on the 24th one, but the fabrics are so close in value that it isn't overly noticeable. Now the one before that, I just don't like it. Maybe if I chose different colors.

      Delete
  4. They are looking great. I'm loving seeing everyones blocks! I was on vacation when the last 3 blocks were released. Being behind with 3 appliqued ones is really going to slow me down!

    ReplyDelete