Sunday, May 22, 2016

Pacific Fabrics 2015 BOM and Splendid Sampler

This week and today I have been getting my sewing mojo back again... sort of :)  At least it's more than the previous three weeks.  I don't think I posted updated blocks from the Pacific Fabrics BOM... I love the coffee cup.  If I did it again, I would change it a little but I really do like how it turned out.  Today I also finished up the apples in the top corner and started on the Mariner's compass.  That one has feathers or something (forget what they called them) that are along the side.  I am trying to figure out how to make them in a different way vs the way in the directions.  After putting the outside part on the mariner's compass on incorrectly, I decided to just put it aside for now and pick it back up again tomorrow.
Pacific Fabrics 2015 BOM

My salmon row look more like swimming sharks :)  I'm ok with that.  If I had used fusible instead of needle turn, maybe the details would have been more crisp... but I really don't like quilting over fusible.  This hasn't always my preference, but after quilting through an older UFO with a lot of fused pieces, I decided I realllllly disliked it.

The long row on the left was fun to do.  There are the four panel pieces, but in between are "sound waves".  I have never tried to do curved piecing like that before, but I have seen it in patterns.  It was very easy to do and I will definitely incorporate that in other designs down the road.

My Splendid Sampler catch-up from this week:
25 and 26: These two were fun to do
25 Sunday Best 26 Dreaming of Dresdens

27 and 28: I love how all these look together.  I had some issues lining up pieces for #28, but I really like the design and I plan to make a small quilt with various dress prints.
27 Sewing Machine 28 Stitching Fashion

29: and today's finished Scrappy Happy Heart.  Quick and easy to finish.
29 Scrappy Happy Heart

So now I am all caught up with my Splendid Sampler blocks, including finishing the embroidery on the measuring tape one.  My plan is to work on the Evergreen State BOM and see if I can't get that into a top soon.  I need to get something off my design wall and I'm not ready to remove the sampler blocks just yet.

Here's to a new week!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Mel, both projects are turning out great! You made a lot of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Splendid blocks. The fussy cut in the Dresden Plte and the Dress are sewww cute! What project will you be bringing to Leavenworth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Splendid blocks. The fussy cut in the Dresden Plte and the Dress are sewww cute! What project will you be bringing to Leavenworth?

    ReplyDelete