Sunday, March 20, 2016

Evergreen State BOM

Gordo

Uffda.

This block nearly kicked me in the rear. It measures in total about 26"x16.5" (I think, trying to remember the height), and the bias seams are all over the place.  I had to add more of the sky fabric at the top (which should be hidden in the seam allowance).  Sigh.  Trimming up the mountains was not easy.

The one thing I liked that I didn't plan (and if I had, it would have never happened!) is that the texture of the fabrics make a rounded visual for the tulip rows.

Evergreen State BOM

This block (which is actually two different months put together) was one of the reasons that I really wanted to do this quilt. Now that this one is out of the way, maybe the rest will be a little easier? :) The ferry block may be challenging as well. The one thing that really disappointed me about this block was the waste left behind from the mountains. I am not really sure what to do with it (I guess I can make a few crumb blocks) but I think another method would have been more economical. The flash on my camera really emphasizes the grey... which had I known where it would end up, I wouldn't have used it. Looking at our mountains when they are out in their full glory do have flashes of greys and blues though, so I am ok with it overall. Because I didn't get in on the BOM when it started, I am pulling from my stash and using fabrics that came in a "boo boo" package... so it's a guess right now as to what to use. I did go back and buy some yardage pieces from Pacific Fabrics for fabrics that I know I will be needing more of (no purchase pledge was broken shortly after making it!)

I love seeing the blocks and panel pieces together
Evergreen State BOM

I tried to google and find if anyone has been blogging and creating this quilt, but I haven't been able to find any postings on it.  I only remember seeing one friend making this quilt, and from her I only saw the dragonfly block.  I'll have to check in and see how she is doing with it.

I think I am going to move on to the coffee cup block as my next one.

4 comments:

  1. That does look like a difficult block, but yours turned out awesome! I'm so glad you are doing this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! It is a fun one :) I'm still giddy about finding the pattern for sale

      Delete
  2. Your block is beautiful and I agree it does look difficult, but the mountains are great. Good luck with the ferry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I took a quick look at the ferry when I first got the pattern booklet and skipped past it! LOL! I know I'll have to flip back to that page again in the near future :)

      Delete