Saturday, March 5, 2016

Cub Scout Blue and Gold Cake Auction

Tonight is the Cub Scout Blue and Gold dinner and with that we started adding the cake auction instead of an actual auction that was done in years' past.  The regular silent auction took a lot more time than what the benefits would show.  When our pack merged with another, we added their tradition of the cake auction a few years ago and it has been popular.  I wasn't planning to take part in it this year, but decided to go ahead and do it yesterday.  Darrin had a half day at school, so we baked a Mississippi Mud Cake (from my grandma's recipes, but I see it online all over now).  Browsing pinterest, I saw this idea and went with it.  The best part?  No need for globs of frosting!

Gone Fishing

Our sandy dirt is ground up Girl Scout Trefoils because our graham crackers have a nasty flavor to them.  Did anyone know that they really taste gross when they are beyond their best buy date?  The smell from the packaging alone might be the worst part.  I am wondering if packaging plays a role because I had a sleeve of Saltine crackers end up with that same chemically pungent smell.  Anyway...
Gone Fishing

Sandy Trefoils and the worm dirt is ground up Oreos.  We went to Big 5 and picked out some bobbers and fishing lures.  Overall it was a fun project to do with Darrin, and he did at least half of the work (he told me to make sure that I don't take full credit for the creation--I told him of course not!  I was thrilled he wanted to make it!).

This is how I will feel after tonight if we end up with cake....
I will need a belly lift :)

Loki

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed that my old Graham Crackers do have an odd smell and taste. Even the name brand. Cute kid with his cake. I love mud cake.

    ReplyDelete