Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Newly added to the fleet...

I haven't tested it yet, but unpacking it... I held my breath.  I decided to look for a new featherweight (I came up with all sorts of reasons to rationalize my purchase) and found one on ebay.  I made a "best offer" and it was accepted.  I halfway thought about sending a link on how to pack it to ship, but I didn't.  I received it today via fed ex, and when I saw the outer box was the same size as the machine case, I think I verbally uttered "oh no....".

How not to ship a Featherweight

Do you believe that shipping companies read and follow these words on packages?  No....

The handle... :( To think my box cutter could have easily sliced into it.
How not to ship a Featherweight

How not to ship a Featherweight

This box was was created around the case.
How not to ship a Featherweight

And inside....
How not to ship a Featherweight

The spool pin is visible with a single layer of bubble wrap, you can see where it has gouged the case (may or may not have been from this shipment):
How not to ship a Featherweight

There was more bubble wrap surrounding the case than inside! That is it!
How not to ship a Featherweight

I am SO VERY LUCKY that the spool pin was not broken or bent.  I am not even sure how that didn't happen.  The machine's case is a newer 1950's type 5 style not original with this machine.  I also think the attachments are from other machines and not original (one is a blackside attachment).  I glanced at the motor and found it was black with gunk, so it is going to take a bit of time to get her back in working condition.
How not to ship a featherweight

How not to ship a featherweight

Overall it is a pretty 1940 model.  There is some mold within the case, so I am not sure if I am going to just ditch it altogether and get a new one or keep it.  I need to find somewhere to put it for now (and not in my sewing room).  I already have a new felt drip liner, new LED bulb, and a couple of other items for it.  I just need to do a spa day on it and evaluate.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new acquisition! The body seems to be in great shape, so if you can spruce up the working parts, it should work like a charm! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't wait and went ahead to clean it up last night. The drip pan felt was nasty... blech, and there were some gross things in the head part when I opened it up. But, it cleaned up great! The motor is strong (I need to still work a bit on it to get the good/new lube in) and it sews nice! I had to fix the tension spring, but that was easy. I waxed it up and it is looking nice :) Now to think on that case.

      Delete
  2. It's very nice. You were lucky with that packing job. Good Luck with the case. You need a VERY HOT day to set it outside and let it bake all day. I need to do it too. I get sick just sitting next to mine, no fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I couldn't believe how it was packed... so very lucky! I did that with my first FW's case, and it worked well in getting old smells out (stuck it in the trunk of my car for a few days last summer). I will use some lysol later today and put it aside for now.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a great find. It looks great and will be awesome with some TLC. I hope the case gets better!

    ReplyDelete