Monday, February 1, 2016

Hexagons!


GFG Progress

I wanted to update because it's about the only thing I am currently working on (along with another UFO which I am currently quilting, hopefully a finish picture will be published next Monday). I decided to take the picture outside to see if I could get colors that are close vs the indoor pics which I really don't like. I am really happy with how this is coming along. I finished the first row on Friday, and worked on the second row on Sunday. It moves along really fast, much faster than creating the rosettes! I need to fill in the end of the second row with grey hexies, but I have found that I ran out of my darkest of grey fabrics. I probably should have only "sprinkled" those around instead of using them so often, but I think this means that I need to go fabric shopping :)

Just four more to go and row two will be finished!
GFG Progress

I am working to get all the edges of the blue rosettes sewn.  Those were the only hexagons where my seam allowances were skimpy.  If I were to give advice on creating a hexie quilt, it would be to make sure you have enough fabric in the seam allowances.  I know the suggestion is the width of the hexie and add a 1/2", but I would actually suggest 3/4-1".  By the time I got to my last few rosettes, I prepped my hexie fabrics not so skimpy and I think it helps with sewing and being able to also hold in place--you can get a crisper edge in my opinion.  My grey hexies were cut at 2.75" square (my hexies have a 1" side and are 1.75" wide).

Just a suggestion.

4 comments:

  1. I like it! Shopping always a fun option. Good progress, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love it. I now have hexis on my design wall! I decided to no put anything between them for various reasons, mostly the size of the seam allowance is SO SMALL! The blocks I received are very well done though.

    ReplyDelete